Look out, Miller Lite is now triple hopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys that have never heard of hops being foam positive should read more. I must have read that in at least 4 different books.

You should make sure Miller is actually wrong before mocking them.

Ok you are right you can use hops for head retention. I have never heard of that. However when I looked that up it says that to use hops for head retention you must use a high alpha acid hop. So to achieve the best head retention one must make a bitter beer, like IPAs, or darker full bodies beers. Since miller is neither of those things, it hardly seems likely that they are using hops for head retention. If so they are not going to get much head retention whatsoever. Anyways these commercials are still jokes.

You guys that have never heard of hops being foam positive should read more. I must have read that in at least 4 different books.

You should make sure Miller is actually wrong before mocking them.

If this was Miller brewmasters releasing this info, sure.

This is marketing. It means nothing. Bragging about hopping three times during the brewing while at the same time saying people shouldn't care about how many times the beer is hopped is just dumb.

DFH could get out there and say they add hops god knows how many times on their continuously hopped beer like the 60, 90 and 120 minute brews.

Ok you are right you can use hops for head retention. I have never heard of that. However when I looked that up it says that to use hops for head retention you must use a high alpha acid hop. So to achieve the best head retention one must make a bitter beer, like IPAs, or darker full bodies beers. Since miller is neither of those things, it hardly seems likely that they are using hops for head retention.

Exactly.

remilard said:
You should make sure Miller is actually wrong before mocking them

Being "foam positive" and being a primary means for producing beer head are two different things. Miller's version of a Pilsner lager is hardly highly-hopped and has minimal head retention. So despite the fact that hops do promote (not provide) head retention, its mention by Miller-Coors in their ad is purely marketing crap and akin to saying you can take down an elephant with a .22---a lot of 'em, maybe.

I think if you poured Pilsner Urquell and Miller Lite side-by-side, the difference in head retention would be significant (really, do you have to do that to argue it?) But the bittering level will be similar. Furthermore, in contrast to authentic German/Czech lagers, I don't think you'll see Miller-Coors brewers using decoction to brew Miller Lite, which will produce head retention.

OK, I must admit that I thought this was all funny because I hadn't yet seen the commercial. That all changed tonight :mad:

Do ever think about the fact that miller light adds hops three times instead of just once? ummmmmmmm........ no, I guess not.

I do however think about adding hops three times, whenever I brew a beer that requires it for the style.

Hard to believe I used to drink that stuff before I discovered homebrewing. Might as well sprinkle glitter & sequins on a turd.

MOD EDIT: More merging.

Hi everybody,

I saw a TV ad recently for a commercial beer that made a big deal of being "triple hopped." My guess is that this is a vacuous advertising claim, since even a novice like me adds hops twice to the wort. I could easily imagine adding a third dose for some reason.

So the question: what is triple hopping? And is it worth the advertising campaign it's getting?

Thanks in advance.

If you've ever tasted a Miller product you'd realize that it is a total marketing ploy. Sometime I feel I add more hops to 5 gallons of Homebrew than BMC put in several barrels.

Do you think if we hopped a 4th time it might be better?

I'm thinking about 1-2 pellets in this sucker tucked into a pint glass and pour away. $hit that would make it all foamy. :mad:

2110880_125.jpg

Stick some pellets in a hop sack tie it off, then snip the end off with scissors. DIY Teabag....

4685.jpg

That's too much work, fark it. :D

I have dry hopped a bmc type beer when my firend brought some over. Itr didn;t really help. I did get a good laugh about it.

Hmm.. come to think about it, I think that was the last time he brought over beer.... lol

I saw this commercial and had to tell the non-homebrewer that was sitting with me how sad that statement was and that they were just trying to market to a uneducated crowd.

let me guess, he/she called you a "beer snob" after that.

No, not this one at least but this was at a wedding at a country club so we were in the bar and somehow it came up that the bar tender couldn't have the beer I was having (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) because it contained wheat. Well I had to butt in and explain that there was no wheat in this beer and in fact the person next to me having a Widmer Hefe or says wheat beer right on the label does not in fact contain 100% wheat.

At any rate this is when the eyes start to roll.

Please remember that in no way does anything produced by any variant of B or MC in any way resemble a Pilsner. Bavarian or Bohemian. BoPils is one of my favorite styles of beer and it's really a marvel that you can get that much flavor and complexity out of only pilsner malt and saaz hops. Nothing else goes in a BoPils.

No I haven't, and I'm not sure that I want to. I am excited about the step-by-step instructions for building a randall on their website though. :rockin:

Triple Hop brewed? A unique process?!

Are they allowed to say that its "unique" to add hops at 3 different times during a boil? It also amuses me that Miller is trying to counter the "drinkability" movement by assuring the common man that their triple hop technique makes their beer a quality product... Oh well, more good beer for the rest of us!

thats so funny that this was already posted. i just so the commerical again and logged on to write about it and then so this. it drives me nuts. i just don't understand the logic of the ad. i don't think miller light drinkers like hops and drinkers that like hops don't drink miller light. so how do they win saying its triple hop brewed

Anyone else get annoyed by the Miller commericals?

Ummm, No. 'Cause my remote works and so do the button on the front of the TV.

advertisers always think of ways to make crap sound better.... they know the general public doesn't know anything about it and will think its a great idea.

triple hopped Miller !
computers with XYZ (random useless software or upgrade) included !
guitar amps that go to 11 !
ShamWOW pick up 50% of cola !

.... please

advertisers always think of ways to make crap sound better.... they know the general public doesn't know anything about it and will think its a great idea.

triple hopped Miller !
computers with XYZ (random useless software or upgrade) included !
guitar amps that go to 11 !
ShamWOW pick up 50% of cola !

.... please

Hey man, you need to lay off the amps that go to 11. That will forever be better than any amp that goes to 10 in my book. Everything else you are about spot on with. Was just bithin about that commercial while brewing on Saturday. None of my friends really cared though.

my problem with the whole thing is are we suppose to say "well now that I KNOW they add hops three different times, I'll give it another shot and like it". If that's what they've always done and we think it tastes like water, it's still gonna taste like water whether they do "multiple" hope additions or not.

The sad thing is Miller's advertising gurus did market research before running those ads. So apparently, the average US consumer buys into that crap. Of course, since craft beer sales still represent less than 7% of all US beer sales, it's not surprising the average US consumer buys into that crap.

I haven't seen the commercials, but who knows, maybe it'll actually be a good thing? I mean, if you're going to buy BMC based on an ad campaign, you clearly don't know much about beer... but from the sound of it, Miller's actually encouraging people to think more about what ingredients go into it? I'd rather see a BMC commercial that tries to sell itself on the merits of its ingredients and brewing practices (however fake) than its sexiness and popularity, cause once you start asking consumers to judge based on quality.... well, BMC ain't it. :)

The way I see it is that every commerical and every new ad campaign is money that could have been spent making a better beer.

Imagine if miller and budweiser took all that money they spend making commercials, and put that money towards making a decent beer. The world would be a better place.

Meh let them say whatever they want.

Ya they make a crappy beer but the vast majority of people do not really ENJOY beer. Ya sure collage students drown themselves in it and your friends will order a pint but I don't believe they truly enjoy it, otherwise they would quickly move on the better and better brews. However miller is a manly substitute for a "bikini martini."

Latest posts

Back