Smoking Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkiller001

Reaction score
Hey all:
It's the last BBQ of the season, and after hearing my local homebrew proprietor talk about smoking grains by hand, I thought I might give it a try prior to throwing the pork shoulder on the BBQ. Then, in the dead of winter, I might be able to put together a smoked porter, or something else delicious.
As the coals heat, I began thinking: how long should I smoke the grain for? I have two lbs of 2 row that I'm about to load up on a pan...

any thoughts?

From what I've heard (from an american commercial distiller of single malt) you want to smoke the grain over good hardwoods. I've found beech the most enjoyable of the smoked malts I've had.

I have a more or less step by step detailed in the Smokey Boggart thread in my sig.

I use a mix of apple wood and hickory for the smoke profile in that beer. I also have a link to a BYO article from a couple years ago in there.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the posts.
Unfortunately my expirament didn't work out so well. I didn't have a screen and ended up with a more toasted flavor in the malt than a smokey flavor.
For the record: pie plates don't work, nor does a modified two layer tin-foil contraption with various holes poked in it.
Ah well, now I just have some slightly toasted 2row for some future project. . .

Maybe try a strainer next time?

Put the grain in the strainer, and wire it under one of your grates?

Back