Does Carafa Special I + Carafa Special III = Carafa Special II?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need Carafa special II for a recipe. It looks like my LHBS only has Carafa I and III special. If I use the correct ratio of each to get to the correct Lovibond rating of Carafa II special, will that work?

It looks like 57% of I (350L) and 43% of III (500L) will get me the 415L of II. Does it work like that?

If you are using it just for color, it would work. If you are looking for the taste of the Carafa special II, then the combination does not replicate the taste you would get with the single malt.

If you're trying to do a serious clone of something, I would try to get the II. Northern Brewer has it, and the Grape & Granary. Otherwise, use either or a combination--I'm sure it will still be good. They're really not a whole lot different, besides, how much are you adding, anyway? If you want it more mellow, you could use the lighter (plus maybe add 20-25%, so if you were going to add 4 oz, add 5 instead). Or if you wanted more of a burnt taste, use the darker.

Thanks all. I'm not going for a clone (never had the real one that I recall anyway). It's 6.9% (1 lb) of the batch. I've brewed 2 black IPAs previously and I used 7.8% carafa special III in one and 3% carafa special III/3% midnight wheat in another. So I bet using all III or the 50/50 blend of III and midnight wheat would be great.

Back