Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I have a question about dry hopping, since this is the first time I have done it. It's a normal gravity brown ale (like 1.050 I think), and I let it ferment out for 2 weeks. All the krausen had fallen, and there was barely anything floating (a few bubbles, no airlock activity).

I added hop pellets to the primary and left it for a week. (I sanitized around the stopper before opening, sanitized the hops package, sprayed the stopper all over, sprayed the mouth of the carboy, then put the stopper back.

After a week, there is a layer of hops floating on top, and a little foam. It doesn't look like krausen, and there is minimal if anything going through the airlock. But definitely some foam around the edge of the carboy.

Is this normal for dry hopping with pellets? Just CO2 attaching to the hops? I've had a couple of infections, so I am leary, but I was extremely careful with this one. Any thoughts?

Yeah, that sounds like it's probably fine. It could just be CO2 using the hops as nucleation points and coming out of solution to form the foam. Just taste the hydrometer reading whenever you take one and if it tastes fine, then it's probably ok.

Back