A few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Ok guys I have two questions for ya. I made two different beers from kits. One was modeled after Serria Nevada the other off of new castle

Question 1: With the Serria Nevada style beer. I am using a two stage fermentation and this beer requires the addition of dry Hops on day 4 of fermentation. So I added the hops on schedule then waited for consistent hydrometer readings and transferred carefully to the second tank. I am getting ready to bottle it but I noticed that there is some things floating around at various levels of the tank. I think it is the hops but I would like to know if this is normal?

Question 2: With the Newcastle style ale I pitched the Yeast in about 20 hours ago and I just checked on it for the first time since I pitched the yeast and there is a head on it, but it does not appear to be a very tall head and I don’t really see much activity in the tank. The last time I did this type of beer two things were different and it had a very active high head. 1 I was using a 5 gal Carboy vs a 7 gal that I am using now; 2 I used a different strain of yeast. Both used liquid yeast. In any case should I be concerned?

Thanks for your help :)

1. I wouldn't worry too much about the floaties in the SN. Could be hops, could be other "stuff" settling out of the beer. I can't say with 100% certainy what the "stuff" is . . . I'm not an expert on the "stuff" (coagulated proteins I think?) . . . but I've seen it in my brews and had no probs. Just wait until it all settles out in your secondary befor you bottle.

2. The size of the carboy shouldn't matter too much unless the krausen when you did it in the 5 was right up by the neck, which would form concentrate it all in one place. Yeast strain may make a difference, but my guess would be that it has more to do with timing than anything else. Temp differences from when you pitched, viability of the yeast when you pitched, other factors could change the timing on when you'd see a high krausen vs. a low krausen. Don't worry about it.

dont worry either way but i would suggest next time u dry hop to wait until there is zero fermentation otherwise the aroma can be carried away by co2

Thanks that is really good to know. I just followed what the kit said.

If you have a small hop bag you can attach it to the end of the racking cane tubing and it will filter out the larger particles that make it to the bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back