gonna go with mm2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine last fall. Never gonna look back and my efficiency went up about 15% over my old Barley Crusher. I got the extended hopper. Than damn thing is a beast....I mean Monster!! :tank:

You'll love that mill! I've got the MM2 with 2 inch rollers and it's a great piece of equipment!

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a mill.
Other than a sack of two row what other grains would a person purchase a fair quantity of to keep them from ordering for a while and still be able to brew a variety of styles?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a mill.
Other than a sack of two row what other grains would a person purchase a fair quantity of to keep them from ordering for a while and still be able to brew a variety of styles?

I buy 2-row by the sack. When I buy supplies for recipes, I always just buy a pound or two extra of he specialty grains. Having some packets of SA-05 dry yeast in the fridge is a must too. This way, on a whim I can have a brew day.

I buy 2-row by the sack. When I buy supplies for recipes, I always just buy a pound or two extra of he specialty grains. Having some packets of SA-05 dry yeast in the fridge is a must too. This way, on a whim I can have a brew day.

Exactly. Made an ipa with us 05 and one with Nottingham when my liquid yeast froze. The us 05 is every bit as good as the Cali liquid. The Nottingham is real dry but not bad still.

I guess after you get all the tools you focus more on the materials.
I've just been getting kits trying to get the process down paying more attention to the style of beer rather than whats in it.

I have the MM2 with hopper and love it. It makes brew day a little less stressful as the crush is fresh on the day when I am ready.

What made ya'll choose the MM 2.0? I've been looking at a mill for a week or so and can't make up my mind which on to pull the trigger on.

Iwas thinking MM2 stood for Monster Mill 2" version. The Malt Mill is another brand, isn't it? It also has a loyal following and looks to be very high quality.
I've been having trouble choosing between the two.

newnick said:
What made ya'll choose the MM 2.0? I've been looking at a mill for a week or so and can't make up my mind which on to pull the trigger on.

I chose it over the barley crusher and crankenstein based on the comments about customer service, and more importantly, I have not seen a single bad review of the product. It is adjustable as well. Based on my expected useage, I did not see a need for extra large rollers, or a third roller, but I did upgrade to stainless rollers.

Doongie said:
I chose it over the barley crusher and crankenstein based on the comments about customer service, and more importantly, I have not seen a single bad review of the product. It is adjustable as well. Based on my expected useage, I did not see a need for extra large rollers, or a third roller, but I did upgrade to stainless rollers.

Yes, great customer service! E-mail questions are answered promptly and courteously. And the product is very well made. It was actually much heavier than I imagined it would be. It arrived on time, was well packaged and exceeds my expectations in every respect! Money well spent.

I have the MM3 and think if I had to do it again I would have gotten the MM2 instead. The MM3 doesn't really seem necessary and is a bit hard to adjust compared to the MM2.

Ordered the mm2 2.0 with the two inch rollers. Got the base, hopper and extension too. Also picked up a shirt from them. Can't wait to get this.

newnick said:
Iwas thinking MM2 stood for Monster Mill 2" version. The Malt Mill is another brand, isn't it? It also has a loyal following and looks to be very high quality.
I've been having trouble choosing between the two.

The MM2 is the 1.5" two roller mill. The MM2.0 is the 2" two roller mill. I went for the MM2 and it seemed like it was bigger than most others in the price range.

What are you guys using to motorize the MM2-2 (2 roller mill w/2 inch rollers)?

And newnick, I'm not sure they answered your question about MM-2 being Monster Mill or Shmidling Maltmill. I am fairly certain that they are referencing the Monster Brewing Hardware "Monster Mill".

I used an electric motor that I re-purposed from my drill press that was rarely used. And I added a couple of pulleys to drop the Rpm's down to an acceptable level. It was an easy conversion, fairly inexpensive and works great! You can get the pulleys and belt from Zoro Tools. Finding a motor in the 1725-1750 rpm range will get you somewhere in the 200 rpm range with the proper pulleys. If you want the part numbers for the pulleys and belt, just send me a message and I'll put the info together for you.
(Oh, and I was referring to the Monster Mill in my post.)

Received my mm2 2.0 yesterday and now it is put together......except for the hopper extension. Assembly wasnt bad.....i used a picture vs the actual instructions. Now to motorize this puppy. I will be asking questions on another thread about motorizing the mill. The mill is real nice.

Yeah I had the MM2 as the Monster Mill. My brew shop uses the Malt Mill and it is excellent as well.
I power mine with an 18v Dewalt cordless for now. I will keep reading this thread to learn more about the motors.

I just picked up the low speed half inch from harbor freight. It ranges from 0 to 550 rpm and the rpms are adjusted via a knob. Should be fine.....the drill is also geared. I'll update when all is set up. I also got a 2 year warranty for 8 bucks.....so I don't care if it burns out.

Yeah I had the MM2 as the Monster Mill. My brew shop uses the Malt Mill and it is excellent as well.
I power mine with an 18v Dewalt cordless for now. I will keep reading this thread to learn more about the motors.

Yeah I too use a Dewalt 18V cordless (on the high torque setting and trigger only partially on) with my MM-2. My last batch was nearly 20lbs of grain and works great.

I have the MM3 -1.5, I am setup for 11gallons at a time and most always do 22gallons per brew day. I start the night before and mill one full sack of two row, then mill the specialty grains, then bag them and keep them on top of the base malt. My point is (if I ever get to it) I mill a lot of grain. I use a 1/3hp furnace blower motor that spins at 1075 (slow) I use a 12" to 1.5" pully's for 100LBS of tork at the shaft of the mill. If this motor burns up I'll get a 1/2 or 3/4 HP that spins at 1075rpm. My mill looks like this

deer 052.jpg

Back