Favorite extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhegende

Reaction score
What are your favorite extracts?
Where did you get it?
Did it come with yeast or did you have to get it separate?
How long did each stage take?
Lets get some opinions from everyone!

When I was brewing AE,I used Cooper's cans as a base. I mostly used Munton's plain light DME to bulk them up,3lb bags.
Now that I do partial mash,i add Munton's plain light or extra light DME to the mashed wort. Although I also like the Breisse gold LME as well. Tomorrow,I'll be making a dark lager with some rauchmalt for an American Rauchbeir I named Pork Soda. They're typcally in the OG1.05X range.
They take on average 3 weeks to finish & settle out before bottling.
I've used the Cooper's yeast that came with the cans,I've used dry premium yeasts as well. Brewing one with liquid WLP029 yeast now. It took till about 10am to start bubbling. Although I did have to fix a vapor lock,so it likely started a couple hours earlier.

There aren't that many brands of extract. Briess makes quality dry extracts, as does Munton's.

There are some specialty liquid extracts available, like from Northern Brewer. They have Munich extract, rye extract, etc.

Stay away from canned extracts, particularly imported ones, as they aren't as fresh tasting and often have a "tinned" extract taste to them.

To make a good beer, you need some extract, some hops, and yeast. Usually they don't come together unless you buy a "kit". I've used Brewer's Best kits, and they are decent, but often they are older and have been sitting on the shelf of a store, so they have a "canned" tinned taste.

If I wanted a ready made kit, I'd order one from Northernbrewer.com, or austinhomebrew.com, as they are made fresh to order and without that canned extract stuff.

I get the Cooper's cans very fresh from the N American distributor. Fine as a late addition. I'll be doing just this making their Heritage Lager into an American Rauchbeir I named "Pork Soda".:rockin:

i just got a zoinks brown ale from boomchugalug. they've got a few different varieties and the package isn't made until you order it.

I've tried all the LMEs from the major suppliers. Morebeers extract has been the best I ever used. It is very consistaint and fresh day in and out. The extract comming in a super heavy foil type bag is unique . There is 0 air and 0 light in the extract.

I'm a extract brewer who uses ultra light LME 90% of the time for different styles. I use the steeping grains to give the color and flavor I want.

I also forgot to mention that Cooper's & Munton's cans have that white liner to them. So no tinny steel taste,& I've used 2 year old cans. Darker color & flavor,but no tinny taste. But some of the lesser known brands in cans from the UK,for instance,aren't lined. I'd avoid those.

Favorite extracts are from Briess. Doesn't matter which one. They have a malt house in Chilton, WI; I have family there and I like to support their business.

I would go with Northern Brewer only because they are the only ones to have Marris Otter LME.

Back