First all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
It's about 30 degrees out, but I scored two 15gal aluminum stock pots for $50 this morning so I'm brewing my first all grain batch. Everything is going according to plan thanks to another new toy - beersmith.
Just started the boil on a chocolate oatmeal porter. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/chocolate-oatmeal-porter-359746/
Hoping it will be ready just in time for St.. Patrick's day.

Awesome man.....keep us posted on your progress.....

When I did my first all grain I did live reports....it was fun.....and allowed me to get immediate feedback if needed...

All went well! It is 6.5 hours since the start of the brew. I've mashed, sparged, boiled, cooled, pitched, and went out for Mexican food. I undershot my mash temp and had to add 2 quarts of boiling water, which wasn't a big deal. But my increased boil volume worked out ok because I had just guessed at my boil off rate. It all evened out. Actually got a higher OG than I expected. Was shooting for 1.061 and measured 1.068. The hydrometer samples taste great. I'm so exited for this beer to finish up!

Even better than all of this, my wife said at the end of the day "Why don't you just leave these pots and things. I'll clean them up while you're at work tomorrow." I love this woman!

How did you do that? Hold on to that women.

I have something to do with brewing in many different parts of the house. Keezer in one part, lagering fridge in another, fermentation in another and I still get away with brewing inside when it is too cold outside so I decided to ask mine to marry me :)

She's a keeper! My wife (barely) tolerates my brewing. Hell would freeze over before shed clean my brewing mess!

Latest posts

Back