Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
I can not wait any longer, I want to bottle my 9 day old beer already so I can brew another batch and get it in the fermenter.

When bottling, you add sugar. But the beer still has yeast right? So why can't I just bottle now and let the bottled beer sit an additional week in the bottle? Does 1 week in the fermentor and 3 weeks in a bottle produce similar results as 2 and 2?

Thanks

Does 1 week in the fermentor and 3 weeks in a bottle produce similar results as 2 and 2?

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not. I think most would say not.

The single biggest problem is that if fermentation isn't complete you're at much higher risk of creating bottle bombs.

Why leave it in the fermenter longer:

The sooner you put it in the bottle, the more sediment you will get in the bottom of the bottle, which can potentially get poured into the glass.

If you have too much yeast in the bottle, it will start giving off flavors as the yeast dies and feeds on itself (autoloysis). It would need to be stored for a while for this to become noticeable.

The more trub in the bottle, the more nucleation sites you will have. This can result in gushers as you open the bottle.

Once fermentation is finished, the yeast are not yet done. During fermentation the yeast created some by-products that are generally undesirable (acetalhedyde and diiecetyl are a couple). Once fermentation is over the yeast start converting these products and cleaning up ythe beer. This will also happen in the bottle, but will happen quicker if the beer is left in bulk on the yeast cake.

Bottle now if you like (it is your beer), but it will be better if you leave it in the fermenter for another week.

It generally takes 3 weeks to carbonate in the bottle. It can be quicker, I was drinking one with only 2 weeks last night and it was fine.

Maybe, maybe not. I think most would say not.

The single biggest problem is that if fermentation isn't complete you're at much higher risk of creating bottle bombs.

What if I am using plastic bottles?

What if I dont add sugar?

Also, I added a cup of cane sugar as well during brew time... could I skip the sugar primer in the bottling?

Why leave it in the fermenter longer:

The sooner you put it in the bottle, the more sediment you will get in the bottom of the bottle, which can potentially get poured into the glass.

If you have too much yeast in the bottle, it will start giving off flavors as the yeast dies and feeds on itself (autoloysis). It would need to be stored for a while for this to become noticeable.

The more trub in the bottle, the more nucleation sites you will have. This can result in gushers as you open the bottle.

Once fermentation is finished, the yeast are not yet done. During fermentation the yeast created some by-products that are generally undesirable (acetalhedyde and diiecetyl are a couple). Once fermentation is over the yeast start converting these products and cleaning up ythe beer. This will also happen in the bottle, but will happen quicker if the beer is left in bulk on the yeast cake.

Bottle now if you like (it is your beer), but it will be better if you leave it in the fermenter for another week.

It generally takes 3 weeks to carbonate in the bottle. It can be quicker, I was drinking one with only 2 weeks last night and it was fine.

Good info, thanks!

Can I just go to lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket then? Santize the heck out of it and use it? Do I need to modify it?

Can I just go to lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket then? Santize the heck out of it and use it? Do I need to modify it?

No, it has to be food grade HDPE and those are not.

As to your other questions, if you bottle the beer before fermentation has completed you expose yourself to exploding bottles plain and simple as the beer will continue to ferment in an uncontrolled manner with no knowledge as to the pressure build up.

While your beer may be nine days old it is nine days of actual fermentation. For example, if the beer did not actually start fermenting until say day 2, then it is only 7 days. Either way, the beer is not done and will benefit from another week in the primary, if not two.

Verify FG by taking a gravity sample and then another 2 days later, if the same then the beer is done. When priming you are adding a specific known quantity of sugar to the beer to achieve a desired, known volume of CO2 or carbonation level.

If you really want to get another batch going then visit the LHBS and pick up another bucket! Patience will reward you with much better beer!

Buy another bucket...

Bottling too soon without priming sugar:
1. Flat Beer.
2. Good beer with more sediment than if you waited.(true only if you lucked out as to the timing---DOUBT IT.)
3. Shards of glass or plastic and beer all over the place.

Bottling too soon with priming sugar;
1. Glass or plastic shards and beer all over the place.
2. Glass or plastic shards and beer all over the place.
3. Glass or plastic shards and beer all over the place.

OMO

bosco

The white buckets sold at Lowes in the paint dept are food grade buckets. Or at least when I bought the 4 I have for food storage said so on the label.

Rick

Back