Bourbon Pumpkin Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDRMaille

Reaction score
Ok, 2nd All Grain recipe. Hopefully ready by Thanksgiving! 5gal output.

7# 2-row
2# Caramel/Crystal
1# Victory
1# Quaker Oats

1 oz Willamette (60 min)
0.5 oz US Fuggles (15 min)
0.5 oz US Fuggles (flame out)

1 pk Nottingham Ale Yeast

1.5 cups Bourbon

1 tsp Pumpkin Spice

OG 1.048 @ 82F
FG 1.004 @ 72F

ABV 6%

Baked 45 oz pumpkin pie filling with molasses drizzle on a cookie sheet @ 325F for 1 hr, let cool. 5gal of water hit 166F, added to Igloo mash tun, added grain bill and let mash for 1 hr @ about 155 (at this point, I was trying to measure temp and my wife's digital thermometer went splash into the mash - XP ). Drained wort, then added 1gal sparge water (170F), drained again, and began the boil with 4.5 gal of wort. Added hops a indicated above and added 1/3 of the pumpkin at flame out; left with 4gal wort . The other 2/3 pumpkin went straight into the fermentation bucket. Once everything cooled down, pitched rehydrated yeast and bourbon, stirred like crazy, and set to forget for two weeks. I will be adding the spice after main fermentation is done to avoid loss of flavor/aroma. Can't wait!

24hrs in, and the aroma coming off the air trap is the best of any batch I've made so far. Very exited!

Bottled up last night. Ended up with 41.5 bottles, as my trub took up nearly a full gallon. Not happy about it, but the smell subdued me! I used 2/3 cup of brown sugar boiled for a bit in 2 cups of the beer for my primer, as suggested by Revvy in other threads. Can't wait until Halloween through Thanksgiving, as I sample the aging process :D

GDRMaille said:
Ok, 2nd All Grain recipe. Hopefully ready by Thanksgiving! 5gal output.

7# 2-row
2# Caramel/Crystal
1# Victory
1# Quaker Oats

1 oz Willamette (60 min)
0.5 oz US Fuggles (15 min)
0.5 oz US Fuggles (flame out)

1 pk Nottingham Ale Yeast

1.5 cups Bourbon

1 tsp Pumpkin Spice

OG 1.048 @ 82F
FG 1.004 @ 72F

ABV 6%

Baked 45 oz pumpkin pie filling with molasses drizzle on a cookie sheet @ 325F for 1 hr, let cool. 5gal of water hit 166F, added to Igloo mash tun, added grain bill and let mash for 1 hr @ about 155 (at this point, I was trying to measure temp and my wife's digital thermometer went splash into the mash - XP ). Drained wort, then added 1gal sparge water (170F), drained again, and began the boil with 4.5 gal of wort. Added hops a indicated above and added 1/3 of the pumpkin at flame out; left with 4gal wort . The other 2/3 pumpkin went straight into the fermentation bucket. Once everything cooled down, pitched rehydrated yeast and bourbon, stirred like crazy, and set to forget for two weeks. I will be adding the spice after main fermentation is done to avoid loss of flavor/aroma. Can't wait!

Could this be made into an extract brew?? I love pumpkin beer. Thanks.

I'm not the person to ask about conversion, but maybe someone else here can give it a go...

abbysdad2006 said:
Could this be made into an extract brew?? I love pumpkin beer. Thanks.

4lbs Light DME. Keep everything else the same. Steep the victory, caramel, and oats.

If you don't partial mash you'll lose some body and mouth feel from the victory so you can toss in 4oz of maltodextrin at 10 min if you want. Should be close enough!

Had a sample Halloween night; was quite the gusher! Probably didn't think through filling only half a bottle with the last bit of brew! Still has a bit of twinge to it from the bourbon, but if it ends up like my wonderful porter did, that should die down in a few weeks.

ForumRunner_20121103_181715.jpg

Latest posts

Back