Arrogant bastard clone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
Arrogant bastard Clone
I got the base recipe from Zymurgy and also looked up Jamill's recipe from "Can You Brew It" and kinda just cross bread them. I did as follows.

12.5# pale two row
1.75# special b
8oz 120L crystal

Mashed in at 150* for 60 min with 3gallons and batch sparged with 164* until I hit the recommend 5.5gal boil volume.
90 min boil. Hop additions @
1oz chinook @ 85 min
.5oz chinook @ 45 min
.5oz chinook @ 15 min
.5oz chinook @ 0min

Aerated wort(first time doing this) for 20 minutes

Pitched WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast at 70*

Zymurgy has the OG at 1.070 but I only hit 1.050.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why my OG was so low?

This was also my first all grain batch.

How did you measure your gravity? Did you check the gravity at the end of your second runnings? If so, was it around 1.010? Why did you sparge with only 164* water? Did you do one batch sparge or multiple? Need more info.

I have made this recipe twice (without the crystal malt) and have always had great results. OG around 1.068.

Hey Dr_F. Thanks for attempting to help me on this. First AG batch and I was kinda overwhelmed.

I measured my gravity after I cooled the wort down to pitching temp 70-72* using a standard hydrometer.

The batch sparge water was supposed to be 170* according to a app I have for sparging, but it cooled down to about 164* really quick.

And yes, just one batch sparge until I hit the 5.5 gallons the recipe called for.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Did you stir your batch sparge after adding water? Did you let it sit for a couple minutes before you drained the mash tun?

I would say that the issue is your sparge temp. Remember you don't want the grain bed to go over 170 which means you can heat your water hotter than that. I fly sparge with 180-185 and my grain bed stays right around 170.

Yea I talked to a guy in my brew club and that seems to be my mess up. When I added my batch sparge water, I had the valve on my mash tun open so the water just passed through the grains and out. Next time I need to keep it closed, sparge, then stir it up and let it sit again before running off. Does that sound right?

That sounds right. You have to vorlauf again so not to get chunks of grain in your wort. Also, as I said above, make your sparge water hotter than your target temp. Try 175 and see if your grain best settles in at 170, if not, try a higher temp.

Thanks dr. f. My faith is restored, as this was my first AG batch. Can't wait to try it again. Until then, low gravity AB brews all around!

Back