Yummy HB ginger lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsaPop

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm new to the club this is my first post so please excuse me if my recipes are not complete. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll get back as soon as I can. I brewed a batch of ginger syrup using 1/2 pound of fresh grated ginger 2 pounds of sugar 1 pound of honey four lemons zest included. After that stop boiling I added a 2 limes and another half pound of grated ginger. I then let this steep down to room temperature. About 4 hours. The lime rind turn brown and given up all of the flavor that they could. I then strained through a cheesecloth lined strainer and added water to make 3 gallons. Then I divided the mixture equally amongst 6 half gallon glass growlers. To each of them I sprinkled a few grains of Fleischmann's active dry yeast. Sealed containers and stored in a dark place for 2 days at room temperature. Slowly and carefully open each growler closing cap intermittently to prevent a violent gas eruption. I recommend doing this outside. This gave me a raw unrefined product with green taste. Then placed in the refrigerator for 2 weeks and open the cap every 3 or 4 days or so. I don't have a cave in the Alps for lagering but my refrigerator is pretty close. The yeast fell out of suspension taking most of the off flavors with it. I took them with me to a company picnic and came home with empty growlers and the admiration of my coworkers.

The reason I added ginger pre boil and post boil is that it gives you a more complex ginger profile.

Back