Dessert Beer, No Hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
So I was searching through the threads about hopless beer. I found out it is called gruit. But most of the threads were about people with hop allergies that were looking for something else to bitter their home brew with. Thats not what I am looking for.

I was curious if anyone has ever tried brewing a hopless dessert beer... errr gruit? Like a double chocolate stout that uses a combination of non fermentable sugars for added mouthfeel, and a low attenuating yeast to leave it sweet.

Anybody ever try this? I'll do it someday if no one has but I didnt want to waste grain and time if someone has tried this and had it turn out awful.

There's dessert wines.... why not dessert beer?

... gruit. :p

When I brewed Denny conns bourbon porter, I had thought about not adding hops when I took my pre boil reading, it tasted that damn good. Its on my to do list.

I don't know about this. It might taste good pre-boil, but once it ferments there needs to be at least a little bitterness to maintain the balance. Even for a dessert beer, the cloying sweetness would probably be too much. If you want to try, though, that's your prerogative, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. What I would recommend is doing it as a small batch so you don't end up with 5+ gallons of grossness. Good luck with your experiment. :mug:

Well, without hops it would be sweet- very very sweet, so you wouldn't have to add additional unfermentables. The bitterness the hops provide in low IBU beers is just enough to counter the sweetness of the malt, but even so some beers (like Scottish ales) are known to be sweet anyway.

Without hops, some people use other plants to get some bitterness into the beer to counter that sweetness. If you've ever sampled hopless wort, it's very sweet but once it ferments it has a weird taste. To see what I mean, maybe make a very small batch of hopless wort with DME (like a quart) and ferment it out. It can be a yeast starter for the bigger batch, so you're not wasting anything. Then taste the spent wort. If you like it, then you'll have an idea what a bitter-less beer could be like.

If you want to try, though, that's your prerogative, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. What I would recommend is doing it as a small batch so you don't end up with 5+ gallons of grossness. Good luck with your experiment. :mug:

Maybe I should get a big mason jar and make a small batch with the first runnings, then a normal beer with the rest.

To see what I mean, maybe make a very small batch of hopless wort with DME (like a quart) and ferment it out. It can be a yeast starter for the bigger batch, so you're not wasting anything. Then taste the spent wort. If you like it, then you'll have an idea what a bitter-less beer could be like.

that sounds like a very good idea. Never even thought of that. Will the over abundance of fermenting yeast in the starter affect the flavor at all? I feel like there will be lots of interesting weird flavors left in the starter due to the high activity level and low sugar availability. But I don't know too much about yeast beyond what they do to beer so I could be wrong.

In one of my first AG brews, I got a little too focused on procedure and was worn out by the time I hit the boil that I forgot to add the hops. I brewed the BlueBall's Belgian Wit (Blue Moon clone) from this forum and it came out ok, despite missing the hops. I thought the beer was a little sweet and it actually was fairly clear for a wheat beer, but didn't realize I hadn't added the hops until about 1/2 the keg was gone. In that recipe though, there was coriander which added some flavor and orange peel though which made it more interesting than just malted grains.

In one of my first AG brews, I got a little too focused on procedure and was worn out by the time I hit the boil that I forgot to add the hops. I brewed the BlueBall's Belgian Wit (Blue Moon clone) from this forum and it came out ok, despite missing the hops. I thought the beer was a little sweet and it actually was fairly clear for a wheat beer, but didn't realize I hadn't added the hops until about 1/2 the keg was gone. In that recipe though, there was coriander which added some flavor and orange peel though which made it more interesting than just malted grains.

I would guess the spice and orange zest helped alot, much like the herbs in a gruit

You forget, that it's NOT just about bitterness, it's also about something that prevents hopless sugar water from souring. You need a preservative, unless you plan on conusming whatever you are looking at in a period of a few days.

It doesn't take much hops to preserve a beer, look at Bud light...there's no discernable hop character, but it doesn't spoil....You don't reall taste or smell them, yet they're there nonetheless.

Quite a few of the other herbs used in gruit do have a bit of a preservative quality, but not as good for stabalizing beer as hops. ut you need something, or just make a gallon batch and drink it fresh.

You're right! I totally forgot that the IPA was basically invented to keep beer from spoiling on long trips over seas. Guess I should look into a very mildly hopped character.

Maybe I should get a big mason jar and make a small batch with the first runnings, then a normal beer with the rest.

Yooper's idea sounds better, easier and more efficient seeing as you'll be testing the idea and making a starter at the same time. Just cold crash the starter before tasting to drop most of the yeast out of suspension.

You're right! I totally forgot that the IPA was basically invented to keep beer from spoiling on long trips over seas. Guess I should look into a very mildly hopped character.

Most folks asking about stuff like this do.....

You really should aim for somewhere in the 5-10 Ibu range. And use a hop not known for a big flavor/aroma character. Basically a noble hop, since those are used in BMCs without a lot of hoppy character.

Revvy said:
You forget, that it's NOT just about bitterness, it's also about something that prevents hopless sugar water from souring. You need a preservative, unless you plan on conusming whatever you are looking at in a period of a few days.

It doesn't take much hops to preserve a beer, look at Bud light...there's no discernable hop character, but it doesn't spoil.

Why wouldn't the alcohol content preserve the beer?

Why wouldn't the alcohol content preserve the beer?

Because it spoils usually long before fermentation is complete. If your theory was right, we wouldn't need hops (or another preservative) at all. But anyone who's made a starter in the summer, knows it doesn't take long for the starter beer to sour.

For example, if you've brewed all grain, you know how quick lacotbasilus can take hold of the spent grain. A matter of hours.

As soon as the UNHOPPED wort drops below pasteurization temps, souring begins.

Have you ever read about sour mashing? Or read any recipe for making guinness clones? They are both based on having an amount of wort souring, before fermentation/alcohol production.....

Revvy said:
Because it spoils usually long before fermentation is complete. If your theory was right, we wouldn't need hops (or another preservative) at all. But anyone who's made a starter in the summer, knows it doesn't take long for the starter beer to sour.

For example, if you've brewed all grain, you know how quick lacotbasilus can take hold of the spent grain. A matter of hours.

As soon as the UNHOPPED wort drops below pasteurization temps, souring begins.

Have you ever read about sour mashing? Or read any recipe for making guinness clones? They are both based on having an amount of wort souring, before fermentation/alcohol production.....

Interesting. No I haven't read anything in regards to sour beers at all, and the fact that guiness does it both shocks and intrigues me, I'll look it up. I hadn't though of pre fermentation, wonder if you pitched a starter at high krausen if one could pull it off. I know spent grain start smelling like dookey pretty damn quick.

It doesn't take much hops to preserve a beer, look at Bud light...there's no discernable hop character, but it doesn't spoil....You don't reall taste or smell them, yet they're there nonetheless.

Quite a few of the other herbs used in gruit do have a bit of a preservative quality, but not as good for stabalizing beer as hops. ut you need something, or just make a gallon batch and drink it fresh.

I don't think this is correct at all. Hops aren't used in mead, cider, or many other fermented "sugar-water" beverages, and these certainly aren't consumed in a period of a few days.

The main reason you want to use hops, as others have said, is that otherwise the beer will be too sweet.

Sure, hops were originally used to prevent spoilage in IPAs - but this was in an era when they were transporting the beer over very large distances in much-less-than-airtight vessels over time scales of weeks/months. If you make a starter so that you get fermentation going quickly on your non-hopped wort, then transfer after fermentation to a well-sanitized keg/bottle so that its in a sanitary environment that doesn't allow infiltration of oxygen, bacteria, wild yeast, etc., your unhopped beer should not spoil over the course of days.

It might not taste great because it will likely be unbalanced and sweet, but that's a completely different story.

I don't think this is correct at all. Hops aren't used in mead, cider, or many other fermented "sugar-water" beverages, and these certainly aren't consumed in a period of a few days.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've never made mead or cider) but isnt Sodium Metabisulfite used in mead/cider to prevent spoilage?

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've never made mead or cider) but isnt Sodium Metabisulfite used in mead/cider to prevent spoilage?

Sure, some use metabisulfite (sodium or potassium), but some don't based on the recipes I've seen (I've never actually made mead or cider either). My main point is that if you use correct sanitation practices, you can surely experiment with making an unhopped beer without worrying that said beer will spoil in a matter of days...or weeks for that matter - assuming you're good with sanitation and keeping the fermented product air-free.

It probably won't age well, and it might not even taste that great, but it won't spoil quickly if you're sanitary.

And mead or cider may not have been the best analogies, b/c a lot of mead/cider makers do no-boil, which necessitates the use of sulfites (especially for cider starting from raw apples or unpasteurized juice, which may have wild yeast). Others (especially those who prefer non-sulfite end-products) do a boil so that they sterilize their must via pasteurization. This puts you in the exact same place you're in after boiling your wort, so that you don't have to add sulfites. These products do not use hops and do not spoil quickly.

Going to have to go against the grain here- certainly hops have some preservative qualities to them- they are moderately anti-microbial. If you rub a hop cone on an agar plate, it will kill most of the bacteria trying to grow there- garlic has similar qualities although it's actually a better anti-microbial. BUT, and this is a big but (I like big buts and I cannot lie- you other brewers cannot deny), boiling hops pretty much negates these advantages.

The reason beer resists spoilage is primarily due to low pH and alcohol content. Even 3% alcohol inhibits most spoilage organisms. There is little (read: zero) evidence that
India pale ale was ever designed for its anti-spoilage properties. Although it MAY have been developed for the burgeoning Indian market (British soldiers and expats), even that is pretty controversial. Similar ales had been brewed for years before beer was ever shipped to India. The Brits in India were quite capable of making their own beer- dried grains are much easier to ship than liquid fermented beer.

Porter was quite popular, and if you've ever had aged porter, you'd immediately see the problem with the idea that other beers were not suited to long voyages pre-sale.

Going to have to go against the grain here- certainly hops have some preservative qualities to them- they are moderately anti-microbial. If you rub a hop cone on an agar plate, it will kill most of the bacteria trying to grow there- garlic has similar qualities although it's actually a better anti-microbial. BUT, and this is a big but (I like big buts and I cannot lie- you other brewers cannot deny), boiling hops pretty much negates these advantages.

The reason beer resists spoilage is primarily due to low pH and alcohol content. Even 3% alcohol inhibits most spoilage organisms. There is little (read: zero) evidence that
India pale ale was ever designed for its anti-spoilage properties. Although it MAY have been developed for the burgeoning Indian market (British soldiers and expats), even that is pretty controversial. Similar ales had been brewed for years before beer was ever shipped to India. The Brits in India were quite capable of making their own beer- dried grains are much easier to ship than liquid fermented beer.

Porter was quite popular, and if you've ever had aged porter, you'd immediately see the problem with the idea that other beers were not suited to long voyages pre-sale.

Do you guys actually research what you talk about or do you just speculate? You think this Hopless beer thread is the first rodeo on this topic? You think I make stuff up off the top of my head. Both our resident beer historian Bob and I provide a lot of references to hops being used as a presertavie in THIS hopless thread...I Provide a whole bunch of links and quotes about it in THIS post alone.

And I do believe Bob references the porter in that thread as well. Since Bob is an expert on beer history, especially historical porters.

Also the comments about hops not being used in wine/ciders/etc has been covered in THIS post.

Whoever mentioned, ph and alcohol, and yeast, etc has forgotten that you need to get to the point where the ph is in the safe zone, where the alcohol becomes present and or where the yeast can take hold to begin with and the antisceptic nature of hops helps get to that point.

Come on guys, use your brains, or at least do a little googling. It's not hard to do this....Make 2 starters in a hot house, 1 don't add any hops to it when you boil, in the other, do what many folks do for this very reason, and EVEN JOHN PALMER talks about in HTB and add a couple hop pellets to the boil. Let them sit in the heat of the day for a few days, and apply the sniff and taste test to the beer above.

Not too hard to understand...Seriously, denying hops preservative qualities in light of just about every brewing book mentioning that fact is sort of like still believing the earth is flat.... :rolleyes:

Or if your'e so much smarter than all the source material, just make 5 gallons of beer with no hops...I dare you. ;)

Revvy said:
Do you guys actually research what you talk about or do you just speculate? You think this Hopless beer thread is the first rodeo on this topic? You think I make stuff up off the top of my head. Both our resident beer historian Bob and I provide a lot of references to hops being used as a presertavie in THIS hopless thread...I Provide a whole bunch of links and quotes about it in THIS post alone.

And I do believe Bob references the porter in that thread as well. Since Bob is an expert on beer history, especially historical porters.

Also the comments about hops not being used in wine/ciders/etc has been covered in THIS post.

Whoever mentioned, ph and alcohol, and yeast, etc has forgotten that you need to get to the point where the ph is in the safe zone, where the alcohol becomes present and or where the yeast can take hold to begin with and the antisceptic nature of hops helps get to that point.

Come on guys, use your brains, or at least do a little googling. It's not hard to do this....Make 2 starters in a hot house, 1 don't add any hops to it when you boil, in the other, do what many folks do for this very reason, and EVEN JOHN PALMER talks about in HTB and add a couple hop pellets to the boil. Let them sit in the heat of the day for a few days, and apply the sniff and taste test to the beer above.

Not too hard to understand...Seriously, denying hops preservative qualities in light of just about every brewing book mentioning that fact is sort of like still believing the earth is flat.... :rolleyes:

Or if your'e so much smarter than all the source material, just make 5 gallons of beer with no hops...I dare you. ;)

This is one of my favorite Revvy quotes I've ever read. Usually I feel like he is a little impatient with some people but you guys were just asking for this. Plus, you can't say that hops are anti-microbial and then deny that they are used to prevent spoilage.

So sounds to me like I make a nice rich chocolate stout and add enough hops to bring the ibu's to around 10 or 20. Now, would it be wiser to bring the ibu's to this level by employing a 60 minute boil to impart bittering properties, or 15 minutes or so to add flavor/aroma?

Yeah, a RIS typically needs about 40-60 IBUs to balance all the malt to style...so depending on your ABV, just hop less to tip the balance more towards it being extra malty. 10-15 IBUs for a normal grav stout (that would normally be 26 IBU or so) would probably be pretty nice. I would just do a single 60 min addition, keep it simple, let the malt and chocolate shine through.

Yes, Revvy, I do plenty of research and I do think about these things in great detail. That's why I responded to the post with the information that I provided...after thinking about the OP's questions and formulating an educated response. And no, I don't think its the first "rodeo" on this topic. I do however think this is an online forum where people should come and discuss topics with quick back and forth and not have to exhaustively research previous threads to avoid exasperated responses from frequent posters. I know a lot of people really enjoy reading these types of responses, but I don't feel they're particularly productive.

Back to the topic...I'm not in any way shape or form denying any preservative qualities of hops, and I'm not in any denying that these anti-microbial properties played important roles in the historical developments of certain styles. I also know that IPAs originated in the early 1800s, whereas Louis Pasteur didn't pioneer the concept of pasteurization until 1860 or so, and that this concept of pasteurization to kill off unwanted bacteria that spoiled beer was not really utilized broadly until the late 1800s. The concept of pasteurization is simple - heat your "sugar-water" to a certain high temperature that will kill off unwanted bacteria and yeast for a certain amount of time before pitching your desired brewers yeast so that the brewers yeast has a firm control over the fermentation of your wort. Edit: I also know that the sanitation practices of the mid-to-early 1800s were not nearly as rigorous as they are today, and that storage vessels were much less than air-tight, so there were plenty of ways for unwanted, nasty things to get into beer and spoil beer, and that hops helped prevent that to some extent.

In the case of wines, they use different chemicals like camden tablets to kill off bacteria that would ruin wines. Just like we add hops to beer.

Your link points to this response from you within that thread:

"Grain is different from fruit, so different things cause harm to it, and different preservatives protect it...In wine making they don't iirc deal with lactobasilus for instance, which is on the surface of grains...".

If you recall, in the current thread we're in, after mentioning mead/wine, I posted this:

"And mead or cider may not have been the best analogies, b/c a lot of mead/cider makers do no-boil, which necessitates the use of sulfites (especially for cider starting from raw apples or unpasteurized juice, which may have wild yeast). Others (especially those who prefer non-sulfite end-products) do a boil so that they sterilize their must via pasteurization. This puts you in the exact same place you're in after boiling your wort, so that you don't have to add sulfites. These products do not use hops and do not spoil quickly."

This brings us back to the concept of pasteurization. Yes, many mead/wine/cider makers use sulfites, and if you do not do a boil to your must, this is a very good idea. Without a boil, you have not killed off unwanted bacteria/wild yeast that can ruin your beverage. With a full boil, however, you have successfully pasteurized your must/wort, and can avoid adding sulfites. The lacto you mention being on the surface of grains is correct, but again, this lacto is killed by the simple process of boiling your wort.

See above again for pasteurization. Pasteurization has already put you in this "safe zone". If you boiled your wort to a full rolling boil for an hour, as in most normal beer brewing, you have now pasteurized your wort. If you then transfer this wort via rigorously sanitized equipment to a rigorously sanitized, closed fermentation vessel, then pitched a healthy crop of brewers yeast, the yeast should not have anything to compete with.

Definitely using my brain here Revvy. Googling not so much, b/c using my brain was sufficient to convince me that a full one hour rolling boil will kill off unwanted bacteria and wild yeast that might otherwise spoil my beer in "a period of a few days"

So, in response, I would just ask this. Without referring to old HBT threads, could you explain to me the chemistry of how an unhopped wort would spoil over the course of days if the OP is careful to:

1. take his unhopped wort to a nice rolling boil to pasteurize the wort.
2. cool the wort quickly to pitching temper
3. transfer the wort with utmost attention to sanitation (racking cane, carboy, etc.)
4. immediately pitch the recommended amount of healthy brewers yeast
5. ferment the wort in a sealed fermentation vessel
6. transfer the finished beer, again using rigorous sanitation, to a closed package (bottle, keg, etc.)

Again, I'm not denying in any way that hops have anti-microbial qualities. I'm just also fairly confident in the anti-microbial effects of good old pasteurization.

Anyway...I probably concentrate too much on the concept of pasteurization above, especially when making reference to old brewing practices. Those guys boiled their worts too, so they were starting with a product that didn't have bacteria/wild yeast in it. But probably the more important issue is that before Pasteur, brewers did not understand the origin of the microorganisms that spoiled beer. Pasteur demonstrated that the growth of specific microorganisms spoiled beer and that if you eliminated these microorganisms, you could extend the shelf life of beer.

With modern day sanitation practices, closed fermentation, and sanitary/air-free packaging, this is easy to do. These practices didn't exist 200 years ago, so spoilage in the absence of preservatives was just a way of life.

I'd still be interested for somebody to brew a batch of unhopped beer to see how crazy unbalanced it is and to see how long it lasts for. I think the OP should go for it! maybe on a small scale!

Wow a lot of points being thrown back and forth. I guess I should just do it. Sometime in the future I will make 2 gallons of Wort. One lightly hopped, the other not hopped at all. Boil, ferment, and bottle. Tasting each bottle every couple of weeks. I'll then come back here and post my findings. Now, if I could just finish my new all grain stand I will jump right on this.... Or maybe try an extract with partial mash batch first.

OP, I notice you're in Petaluma. Moonlight Brewing up in Windsor has been releasing gruits every now and then for the last few years, and I've loved the ones I've been lucky enough to sample. I wouldn't necessarily describe any of them as "dessert beers", they're really herbal beers, an older style of brewing before hops became the de facto herb to use. There are herbs other than hops that act as natural preservatives. Randy Mosher devotes a few pages to gruits in his book "Radical Brewing", and Stephen Harrod Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" is another one to look at, although his approach is much different.

This is a good read, and goes into a lot of the details about how different components of beer affect the stability of beer:

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/jib/abstracts/2005/G-2005-1316-408.htm

There is a whole long section on hop compounds, but here are a few excerpts that are pertinent to this discussion:

"Hops alone will not protect the beer from microbial
contamination and it must be remembered that hop compounds
only inhibit Gram-positive bacteria. Care should
be taken when altering the hop composition of beer as it
can have a profound impact on the organoleptic and
physico-chemical properties of the product. However, the
efficient utilisation of hop components, that is the optimisation
of the brewing process for maximum antibacterial
activity, could improve the microbiological stability of
beer."

"Zymomonas spp. are Gram-negative aerotolerant anaerobes,
which are found in ales and in primed beer, i.e. beer
to which sugar is added. Zymomonas mobilis produces
high levels of acetaldehyde and hydrogen sulphide34,35.
Acetobacter spp. thrive in alcohol-enriched niches whereas
Gluconobacter spp. prefer sugars as carbon sources204.
These Gram-negative acetic acid bacteria are resistant to
hop compounds, acids and ethanol, and are aerobic or
microaerophilic. They can contaminate beer if air is present
in the headspaces of bottles and cans as a result of
faulty packaging."

The ultimate answer, as per usual, is that in a system as complex as beer, the chemistry underlying the ultimate stability and spoilage of the end product is very...you guessed it - complex. Alcohol, pH, compounds from specific additives such as hops, the presence of oxygen, etc. are all at play and can have profound influences on the end product.

OP, I notice you're in Petaluma. Moonlight Brewing up in Windsor has been releasing gruits every now and then for the last few years, and I've loved the ones I've been lucky enough to sample. I wouldn't necessarily describe any of them as "dessert beers", they're really herbal beers, an older style of brewing before hops became the de facto herb to use. There are herbs other than hops that act as natural preservatives. Randy Mosher devotes a few pages to gruits in his book "Radical Brewing", and Stephen Harrod Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" is another one to look at, although his approach is much different.

I'll have to check some of their stuff out. I've been recently branching out and trying many different styles/varities to break away from the norm. The only one I havent been brave enough to try is a wild ale.... everytime I hear someone describe it it sounds god awful. One of these days though. Thanks for the info, supermoth

Quite a few of the other herbs used in gruit do have a bit of a preservative quality, but not as good for stabilizing beer as hops. ut you need something, or just make a gallon batch and drink it fresh.
OR... You Could.... Wait.... No, actually a 1 gallon separate batch from a mash or boil seems like a great idea!

Never Listen To Revvy! (Always listen to Revvy!)

aren't hops and weed closely related?... that might be a hell of an option in lieu of hops...

From Anheiser Busch's website:

"In the early 1870s, Adolphus Busch became the first American brewer to adopt the use of pasteurization, which allowed beer to be shipped over long distances without spoiling. By the early 1880s, Adolphus had pioneered the use of artificial refrigeration, refrigerated railcars and rail-side icehouses. The combination of these innovations allowed Anheuser-Busch to transport and market Budweiser as America’s first national beer.

Pasteurization- Adolphus Busch responded quickly to advances in science and technology. Previously, beer had been highly susceptible to the influence of heat, light, storage conditions and spoilage. With the introduction of Pasteurization, heat could be used to destroy harmful micro-organisms, allowing beer to be maintained for longer periods without spoiling. Adolphus embraced this idea and became the first U.S. brewer to pasteurize beer in the 1870s. This new technology allowed beer to be shipped long distances without spoiling and made it practical to bottle beer."

http://anheuser-busch.com/index.php/our-heritage/history/history-of-innovation/

Come on guys, use your brains, or at least do a little googling.

I found this by googling ;)

Revvy, sorry that my first response to you was uber-long, so you may have gotten bored by the end, but I ended it with a question for you:

So, in response, I would just ask this. Without referring to old HBT threads, could you explain to me the chemistry of how an unhopped wort would spoil over the course of days if the OP is careful to:

1. take his unhopped wort to a nice rolling boil to pasteurize the wort.
2. cool the wort quickly to pitching temper
3. transfer the wort with utmost attention to sanitation (racking cane, carboy, etc.)
4. immediately pitch the recommended amount of healthy brewers yeast
5. ferment the wort in a sealed fermentation vessel
6. transfer the finished beer, again using rigorous sanitation, to a closed package (bottle, keg, etc.)

You could even throw in a step 5b if you want:

5b. pasteurize the fermented wort (heat to ~150 Celsius and hold for 30 minutes) and cool before bottling/kegging

-although I doubt it would really be necessary.

Back