Is my starter ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castlefreak

Reaction score
This is going to be my first lager, so I'm trying not to mess it up. All grain bohemian pilsner. Here's what's happening:

I made a 1 liter starter last week, let it go at room temperature (about 65 degrees here in KC) as I planned to decant the liquid from the slurry. That all went normal, yeast flocculated, then I prepared a 2 liter starter and pitched the yeast into that about 24 hours ago and put it into my kegerator (w/ temp controller at 50 degrees). I was hoping to be able to brew today, but the yeast is still in suspension, bubbling away. This is the Czech Pils strain from Wyeast.

My questions are:

Since the 2nd starter has been at lager fermentation temps, is it okay to pitch the whole jug into the prepared wort while the yeast is still in suspension?

Will the yeast have reproduced enough by now to get a good pitch rate?

Can I just run to the LHBS and pick up another yeast packet?

If I don't brew today, I won't be able to until next Monday. Not the end of the world, but I'd like to get it under way.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

From what I know about lager yeast, you need to do a larger starter. Which you have done. I always pitch the whole thing. I would pitch it and stop worrying.

Next up: wait! MR Malty says you need 800,345,791,930,843,122,101 yeast cells and you'll need a starter that's 20qts and you'll need 10 packs of yeast to do it! Otherwise it's under pitched!

Stop. You'll be fine.

Back