Kolsch- Too high fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieboot

Reaction score
So Im new to AG brewing and this week made my first attempt at a Kolsch.

Had maintained the fermentation temp at 60F, but then last night the temp was too low so I put it on a heated pad to boost the temp for an hour or so.

Only problem is that I forgot about it and woke up this morning and it was 78F and the airlock was all clogged up with gunk!

Ive got it sat outside now to cool it down

Is this beer ruined or should it be ok as it was only overnight?
Can I salvage it?

Cheers

Jamie

well, i doubt it's ruined. although those temps aren't ideal to say the least, if it was only for a short period the effect should be minimal. give it some extra time on the yeast to let it clean up after FG is reached, also maybe lager it for an extra couple weeks to smooth anything out.

What yeast strain did you use? I made a Kolsch with WLP029 early last summer and fermented in my basement. It had a constant fermentation temp around 72 deg, 4deg above recommended, and it turned out fine. Great in fact! I had minimal to no ester formation. I wouldn't worry too much since your temp didn't get way out of control. Lager like the above poster said and you should be fine.

How long after fermentation started until you put it on the pad? That will be the biggest factor. If most of your fermentation was complete, you shouldn't have too many issues. On the other hand, if you were in your first 24-48 hours, then you might get the fusel alcohols and esters you likely aren't looking for.

I used wyeast 2565.

I put it in the pad on day 3 of fermentation so hopefully missed the main activity.

How long would you leave it in the primary to clean up? It's been 8 days now.

Was thinking one month lagering- does that sound about right?

Thanks

A little fruitiness/estery nose is acceptable in Kolsch. My favorite commercial kolsch, Reissdorf, has that going for it and it's delicious. I read some breweries in Cologne will bring their ferment temp up to 70 or so for a spell to get that fruitiness.

I have a Kolsch with White Lab Kolsch yeast going gangbusters now at 63 in the basement. (which has an ambient temp in the low 50's now) I'll bring the carboy upstairs for a few days near the end of fermentation to raise the temp to 70'ish before kegging and sticking in the keezer to lager. Should be a great spring brew to quaff while I'm out getting my hop planting going in April.

Back