Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On potential issue would be if you have a vapor coming off the top of the MLT. The infrared gun might not be able to see through the dense water vapor and might display the temp of the steam rather than the wort below.

I haven't tried my infrared gun for brewing yet. Now you have me thinking...

It's good for taking the temp off the side of a vessel, like fermenter, MLT, BK, etc. Not all that useful for brewing in general.

For mashing, you don't want "within a few degrees". There's a big difference between 154 and 158. Plus, you want core mash temp, not the surface temp. GREAT for finding drafts in your home though.

I do extract. When I started I was using a stick thermometer. Curious I tried my inferred thermometer and they where the same. I use it for the boil, steep, and wort temp.

I used mine to find the best spot in the basement to stick my primary. I actually found an area that consistently is 56-57 degrees and started lagering there. That was before I put it on the shelf above the stove while brewing and melted it.

I figured it wouldnt be good for mashing but I just did my first all grain. I did a BIAB, but had issues doing a 10 gallon batch with getting the bag out of the keggle. 20lb of grain didnt want to fit though the opening after being soaked in water, and put a small tear in it that caused me some problems. But even if I cut the opening just a little bit more and with a pulley I am afraid of knocking the keggle over so I was going to try to do a "real" all grain setup I only have 2 keggles, with ball valves and temp gauges. I used one as a hlt but the gauge wont even touch the water unless I have at least 5 gallons in it. I did not calculate my water correctly either so maybe I just need to put enough to be able to read from that gauge and move on but I was thinking about adding a gauge next to the ball valve on that keggle or getting an igloo cooler but thought instead of adding a gauge to it use the infrared guy (dont have a welder so would have to go weldless). Plus I thought I could use it to check my other gauges to make sure they read correctly or other various things as other mentioned already, like room temp for fermenting ect. I do have alot of drafts in my home so maybe I should just get one to play with plus set up everything the right way

Back