Auber Contactor Wiring help request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
I purchased a Contactor from Auber the other week, it's arrived, 240v coil double pole 40amp "Mars2 17427". Not sure how to wire up the switch though.

I was hoping it would have an instruction leaflet or labeling on the contactor saying what's what, but it doesn't. Here's a pic of it:

index.php

OK, picture doesn't want to show, it's this one though:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...id=164&zenid=98a22ca4f0ee85b7a492e89d09c47e0f

I understand that the lugs on both ends are where I'd attach my two hot leads from my 240v power source, and then the other side I'd attach the two same gauge wires out to what I'm powering, essentially.

But where do I wire the switch to control it? Presuming the sides, but do I wire both hots to one side, or one to each side, and does it matter which to which?

Lastly is there a minimum amperage rating on whatever switch I choose to turn this contactor on and off? Obviously I don't need the full load amperage rating, but is it going to need 5amps to 'contact', 1 amp, 10 amps?

I've emailed Auber but was hoping to get this wired up tonight. :)

I will be putting this in my system between the SSR and the element plugin, switching both of the hot leads on my 240v electric setup. This is the 'ok it's DEFINITELY off' switch.

Thanks all!!

Contactor-wiring-240V.jpg

You wire the control to the coil terminals - one on the front & the other on the back (reference the image).

Edit: The coil draws a fraction of an amp BTW.

Wicked, thanks PJ, your wiring assistance has really gotten this build off the ground, it's appreciated. :)

Tonight will be a proper test run and auto tuning of the new PID, hurrah! Then time to compile a build thread!

Wicked, thanks PJ, your wiring assistance has really gotten this build off the ground, it's appreciated. :)

Tonight will be a proper test run and auto tuning of the new PID, hurrah! Then time to compile a build thread!
Congrats! I'm looking forward to it. Just let me know if I can help in any way. At least I can draw some diagrams, No? For me it's a lot of fun. I "think" the stuff I draw is a little easier to follow than some.

It pleases me that I could help you.

P-J

Alright, contactor wired up and working GREAT! So nice to have a nice little toggle switch in place of my gigantic A/C disconnect switch!

And I learned a little something about not wrapping wires together properly when using a marette...the wire for my 'on' light wasn't making a good connection to one of my hot leads in the marette cap, started crackling and smoking, crap shut it down! All's well, lesson learned, must have arced inside the cap.

I've taken the light out of the mix for now, will wire it up again tomorrow or something with a better twist on the marette. Everything works nicely so far on a 30 minute test run, auto tune in the next few days and then it's off to the races.

Back