Potential AG recipe question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
I've been looking for a first AG recipe to brew this weekend and I thought I had found it with the Summer IPA recipe from Brew 365.com. Here's the recipe

"ll Grain Recipe - Summer IPA ::: 1.066/1.012 (5 Gal)
Grain Bill

14 lb. - Pale malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb.- CaraPils
Hop Schedule [77 IBU]

1/2 oz. - Magnum Hops - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Magnum Hops - 45 min.
1 oz. - Cascade Hops - 20 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo Hops - 10 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo Hops - 5 min.
1 oz. - Cascade Hops - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo Hops - At Flameout
Yeast

White Labs California Ale (WLP001) Yeast - 1800ml starter
Mash/Boil

Mash at 151° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 90 min.
Ferment at around 68°
Notes

A very citrusy, refreshing but highly hopped IPA. "

When I run this sucka through Tasty Brew as a 5 gallon batch with 75% effifiency, I get an OG of 1.085! 8% alchohol. This is obviously not what the recipe intends. The recipe's own calculation says it should have an OG of 1.066 and a FG of 1.012 or so. Am I shrooming out? I spent all weekend finishing up my thesis, so maybe I blew a fuse in my brain. Is tasty brew broken? Can someone run this through a brewing program and help me try to figure this out? The description of this recipe from the site make sit sound like a nice first AG, just in time for summer weather. But I dunno...

Best,
Ben

When I run it through Beersmith, you get 1.081 at 75% with 58 IBU's. That sounds like a bigger beer than you were looking for! My thought though is you need alot of malt to balance all those hops. If you did a lighter malt version (and you sure can!) you might want to consider lightening up on the hops a bit. I'm not expert on this- so I don't have any specific "how to" do that.

If you use, say, 10 pounds 2 row, you'd get an expected 1.060 og.

For a summer brew, I think of lighter ABV. I'd take it down to about 8-9lbs of pale and 1/3rd lb of other and adjust the hops accordingly.

Yeah. An 8% beer after mowing the lawn...see you in September...:drunk:

haha yeah I agree. I'm just looking to use a know-winner recipe for my first AG. Eliminate the experimental variable...

I guess I could try to adjust it. I was looking for 6% alcohol or so. And lots of citrus or pine hops. Very crisp and refreshing for summer! Anyone have any suggestions for a nice summer IPA along these lines? Or maybe some adjustments to this?

-Ben

Back