breakfast brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
i am considering brewing a brown ale and adding real maple syrup, some brown sugar, and perhaps a cinnamon stick and maybe a hint of vanilla extract.

the idea is to brew a brown ale that taste kinda like maple&brown sugar oatmeal.

i also have real maple extract and flaked oats to use if needed.

i would love some feedback about this idea, thanks

Sounds like a job for an oatmeal stout. Add some of that roasty toasty flavor, and you've got pancakes!

Sounds great! I did something similar with my nut brown, but didn't get much flavor. Based on my experience and reading here, I would recommend using the maple extract instead of syrup - the syrup won't contribute much if any flavor whether you use it in the boil or prime with it if you are bottling (and it is expensive). As for the vanilla, I used 4 ounces of good quality extract and you cannot taste it, I've read that vanilla is best done by putting 2-3 scraped beans in a secondary for 4-7 days. Cinnamon can be done in the boil or secondary.

Hope it turns out well, sounds fantastic!

should i add maple extract to the secondary as well?

i was also considering doing this with a light ale too, im thinking the adjunct flavors might be more apparent in a light ale.

cyclonite said:
As for the vanilla, I used 4 ounces of good quality extract and you cannot taste it

Wow! That is a ton of vanilla! I am surprised you didn't get any vanilla flavor. I added a tablespoon of the Costco brand (kirkland) to my secondary (5 gallon batch) in a vanilla porter and the vanilla was almost overpowering. The Costco stuff is an alcohol based extract and worked great. I let the porter sit on the yeast for at least 3 weeks then transferred and let it sit with the vanilla for another week or so.

I don't have any experience with the other ingredients. Might try an inexpensive alcohol based vanilla extract if you can't find the bean.

Latest posts

Back