Substitutes for Dark Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aswen001

Reaction score
I am doing a clone of the 6.6.6 vertical epic from stone's website and it calls for a small amount of Dark Wheat.. Does anyone know a close substitute? My LHBS doesn't carry dark wheat.

My first thought would be Carafa III (dehusked/debittered) and scale the amount based on the difference in lovibond.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure what you mean by dark wheat. I was thinking something like chocolate wheat (a roasted wheat malt), for which Carafa (though now that I think about it maybe a lower Carafa like Carafa I) would be a good substitute, but when I searched "dark wheat" in Google all I came up with was Weyermann dark wheat, which is around 10L. I'm not sure why you would use that in small quantities. Could you post the full recipe?

I'd probably go with Munich malt since they are both kilned to about the same color (and have similar flavors). Maybe go with 7% Munich and 7% pale wheat malt, so you get all of the components you are missing.

After checking out the recipe, I agree with Old Sock. The Munich should approximate the flavor you'd get from the dark wheat, and the pale wheat will give you the added mouthfeel/head retention that I'm guessing is the reason they include the dark wheat. Sorry for the confusion in my initial response.

Back