Getting ready for my 1st batch tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris19delta

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to cook my 1st batch tomorrow, and want to make sure i haven't forgot any important prep steps. Anyone have a pre brew checklist?
Im gonna sanitize everything tomorrow morning and I've just finished boiling water in the new AL pot to build up an oxide layer. Slightly nervous lol :drunk:

Good luck and try not to worry. Focus on sanitation/temps and times during the boil. The 1st brew day is more about experience than anything else. You can read 10 books on how to fly an airplane but until you do it there really is no way to know what problems you will encounter.

I suggest having 1 gallon of spring water on hand in the fridge, it can help you cool the wort and it can save the day for under 1 dollar.

Remember this: People have been brewing beer for a LOOOONG time and it is pretty hard to screw it up.

Best of luck! :tank:

I know this is very, very verbose, and it's tailored to the equipment that I have, my recipe, and the particular methods I chose to use, but this is the step by step checklist I made for my first brew day. I'll probably adapt it to be more generic for future brew days, so I can easily plug in other recipes. The fact that it was so verbose freed my mind so I didn't have to think of what step to do next, just had to follow the list.

The one thing to point out is that the section in there for hydrating the yeast is done in parallel to the brew. I prepped the boiled water for hydrating the yeast while the specialty grains were steeping, but it wasn't cooled to 95 degrees until close to the time I actually needed to pitch the yeast at the very end.

Link to Google Doc

brewing your first beer is like having sex for the first time. You've heard great things about it, you've read about it, maybe even watched some videos of other people doing it. You're really excited and can't wait to get started. But once you get started, it doesn't go as smoothly as you hoped it would. But once you do it a few times,you get better at it.

All the reading and videos and checklists are nice, but once you start, you have to have your process down. The only way to do that is to get a few batches under your belt. Learning on those first few batches is fun and you'll make beer, but you shouldn't expect everything to go totally as planned.

on the flip side, being married with two kids , brewing beer is like my sex life.....i do it alone.

brewing your first beer is like having sex for the first time. You've heard great things about it, you've read about it, maybe even watched some videos of other people doing it. You're really excited and can't wait to get started. But once you get started, it doesn't go as smoothly as you hoped it would. But once you do it a few times,you get better at it.

All the reading and videos and checklists are nice, but once you start, you have to have your process down. The only way to do that is to get a few batches under your belt. Learning on those first few batches is fun and you'll make beer, but you shouldn't expect everything to go totally as planned.

on the flip side, being married with two kids , brewing beer is like my sex life.....i do it alone.

LOL... you are right, the first time you are focused on following instructions and not so much on actually brewing, but it's easy after that...

Anyways, here's another article that might help you: home brewing instructions

preps taking abit longer today because i decided to mark the pot at the 2.5 and 5 gal lines, so i filled it to 3.5 hit the waterline with a punch to mark it then did the same at 5gl which should make it easier to get the batch back to 5 gal after the boil.

almost done sanitizing just gotta fill a spray bottle with some sanitizer for quick touch up on the tools before i use em.

Back