Digging up and moving sprouting rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went out to check on the two rhizomes I planted in the woods by my house and sure enough, someone (probably kids), messed with them. The plants are fine, but they pulled out the wooden stakes I was going to use to tie the twine to.

I want to move them quickly before they get more damage or get too big to move easily. Any concerns? I am going to put them in separate pots and set them up on my balcony where they should get more light than the one I already have in a pot.

Has anyone ever moved a rhizome after it already started sprouting?

I just transplanted a hop plant that had about a foot of growth on it. So far so good. It may or may not produce as much but at least the roots will get established.

OOPPPSSS!

So when I was transplanting the rhizomes, I broke the best shoot off of one of them. Does it have any chance? I broke it off less than an inch from the rhizome, so it has a large stem. Will it create its own roots?

Though i am not much of an expert on growing hops I think you will be alright. You did much better than me.

I was digging up a hallertau rhizome since I thought I planted it too deep and i accidentally chopped it up! I just took the small piece and re-planted it. In my case i don't think it will make it. In your case i think there is enough that it will just grow out.

Back