Are Grocery Water Machines Legit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
These things are about the size of an industrial sized refrigerator, say they pass the water through 7 stages (charcoal filter, UV light, another filter, Reverse Osmosis membrane, etc.), and they seem to have an endless supply.

Those seven stages can't be happening as the water is flowing, and they maybe have 100 gallon tanks...maybe.

Are these things just big boxes hooked up to garden hoses or what...I am skeptical, but I need me some bulk RO.

The one I use is legit, I sent a sample to ward labs, for 16 dollars, it got a clean bill of health.:D
I was as skeptical as you are when I started using those machines.

The one I use is Culligan.

The machine says it's hooked up to my store's city water supply. And it does all of those things you mentioned. I can see the purple light hitting the water as it comes out, so it looks fancy even if nothing is happening!

I can see the purple light hitting the water as it comes out, so it looks fancy even if nothing is happening!

Haha...I guess I'll trust it. I've got 2 5 gallon jugs that I can either fill for $1.95 each or exchange at AquaSystems (which I know is legit) for $4.10 each. So $8.20 vs. $3.90. Not much, but I try to save where I can.

I've been using the machine at Publix. I'd like to send it in to get tested, but my beer's coming out so good with it I probably won't bother. Costs $1.50 a gallon.

I work at a grocery store and we have a Glacier Machine.
Every 3 weeks a guy stops by, Checks the machine, cleans it and is there for about 30 min or so.
99 cents a gal. and never heard a complaint yet.

I have seen the water machines in the stores, some out in front, I am leary of getting water there because I never see anyone else there getting water, I get my RO water from my local Water and Ice store (always quite busy), their machines are well maintained and the water costs me 25 cents/gallon. I also pick up ice for the chiller while there. unless I get distracted by a snow cone I am out the door for under 7 dollars for 50lbs of ice, 6 gallons of RO to mix with tap water, if there is a snow cone with me up that by $1.50.

I've been using the machine at Publix. I'd like to send it in to get tested, but my beer's coming out so good with it I probably won't bother. Costs $1.50 a gallon.

That is a damn ripoff...doesn't Publix sell 1 gallon jugs for $1 or less?

I work at a grocery store and we have a Glacier Machine.
Every 3 weeks a guy stops by, Checks the machine, cleans it and is there for about 30 min or so.
99 cents a gal. and never heard a complaint yet.

That makes me feel better. I have been having clarity issues. I'm pretty sure it is in my process, but I also want to make sure it doesn't have something to do with the water.

That is a damn ripoff...doesn't Publix sell 1 gallon jugs for $1 or less?

That makes me feel better. I have been having clarity issues. I'm pretty sure it is in my process, but I also want to make sure it doesn't have something to do with the water.

Whoops, 30 cent a gallon, $1.50 for 5 gallons. :eek:

These things are about the size of an industrial sized refrigerator, say they pass the water through 7 stages (charcoal filter, UV light, another filter, Reverse Osmosis membrane, etc.), and they seem to have an endless supply.

Those seven stages can't be happening as the water is flowing, and they maybe have 100 gallon tanks...maybe.

Are these things just big boxes hooked up to garden hoses or what...I am skeptical, but I need me some bulk RO.

I use the local grocery stores RO machine and love it. They have a water analysis posted and a hand written sign off for a tech check. .39 gallon and I can fill a Ale Pale in about 2 minutes.

Have had great success with the impact on beers. I just blend with my local water (I have REALLY hard water in this city) to get the profile I want.

One thing I did, I went to a local Farm and Fleet and bought a bunch of pre-filled 4 gallon plastic bottles, then, I just reuse those all the time. Easy to lug around and you know your water volumes.

Latest posts

Back