Keezer build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimshear

Reaction score
Stopped at Home Depot and grabbed a 5.0cu GE freezer for my new keezer. Started the build after work and pretty happy so far. Just using scraps of metal around the shop so it's a little more labor.
showphoto.php

This is the first metal fabricated keezer collar I've seen. Looks rather nice! Good for you for having all the tools and knowledge to pull it off.

Are you going to use insulating material?

Very cool and unique.

Are you going to use insulating material?

Very cool and unique.

Definitely going to insulate it, probably with that pink foam stuff for houses. Only had about 3 hrs. to work on it last night so roughing in the collar was as far as I got. Hope to have the insulation and inner liner done tonight so I can start painting it. Not planning on adding any faucets at this point as I already have a kegerator with a dual tap, just plan on having a few cornies in there conditioning/carbonating. Maybe throw a picnic tap on 1 or 2 of them.

what about that spray in expanding insulation? just a thought but are you going to try and sandwich more metal on the inside with the insulation in between or leave it open? Looks pro so far- keep up the good work!

what about that spray in expanding insulation? just a thought but are you going to try and sandwich more metal on the inside with the insulation in between or leave it open? Looks pro so far- keep up the good work!
The collar is 1" thick and has pink polystyrene insulation stuffed throughout. I lined the interior with 6064 T6 aluminum and fastened the manifold to that. It has a Johnson digital controller and is currently chillin down. :)

That's cool. I was thinking of how you were going to make the freezer match the steel, but you went the other way.

How high is the upper lip of your metal collar off the ground? I'm in the planning process for my keezer and I'm trying to determine how high is too high... I'm going to have my collar attached to the freezer like you did and am concerned that I might have trouble hoisting full kegs up and over. I guess I could always use the step stool or something as well...

How high is the upper lip of your metal collar off the ground? I'm in the planning process for my keezer and I'm trying to determine how high is too high... I'm going to have my collar attached to the freezer like you did and am concerned that I might have trouble hoisting full kegs up and over. I guess I could always use the step stool or something as well...

43 1/2" with the wheels I added, I didn't have any trouble hoisting the cornys in there, but I'm 6'1". It will be interesting trying to clean it though. ;)

you may want to consider dropping the temp probe down a bit. I have about a 7-10 degree differential from the very bottom of my freezer to the top. Occasionally more....at first it was too high up and my actual temperatures ended up being way off.....

you may want to consider dropping the temp probe down a bit. I have about a 7-10 degree differential from the very bottom of my freezer to the top. Occasionally more....at first it was too high up and my actual temperatures ended up being way off.....

I definitely found this out the hard way. Froze my kegs and had not very cold beer on top. I dropped the probe and added a fan to circulate. Still figuring out how to regulate temp but getting closer.

Well done.

I like the contents too. Always jealous when I see New Glarus beers in a Fridge. I only have 1 Spotted Cow left. And then will be dry till my next trip back to WI.

Back