Anyone implement a tippy dump keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I am planning a new brewstand and want to use at least one tippydump keggle. The concept would be using two posts out the sides of the keggle resting on/in two sockets. I am not sure if I should plan to just have the posts welded to the keg or if I am better off with another solution.

Does anyone have any detailed pics of this type of project and/or how the tippy dumps are locked in place during brewing?

I had a hinged base design in mind for my stand but kegs don't dump so well due to the top skirt. I don't know who it was, but I do recall someone welded a chute between the cut top and the lip of the top skirt so spent grain didn't get caught up.

If it was going to pan out, I was going to hold the keg down to the hinged base with four bolts through the angle iron and into holes in the bottom skirt.

Our design will have much the same idea as Bobby implemented. The Black Heart Brewery has it as well. Angle iron trays hinged and the keggles bolted to the trays. As Bobby notes, it won't be a perfect dump - because the kegs aren't the perfect pot for this stuff (they've got the upper skirt, a lip from the top of the keg, etc) - but it will make for easier grain removal and cleaning.

I tried to find the photo of a brewery build that I've seen on here - it incorporated a tipping keggle much like you've mentioned - but I believe the keggle was modified to have a chute. Probably the same build Bobby is thinking of.

Yeah Bobby, I know your design, I remember when you were sketching it up. I think to make the keggle work for the tippy dump, I need to employ the plasma cutter to remove the entire top skirt, and like you said, add a chute.

I like the idea of adding the pegs and pivot points since it will take much less force to dump than it would with the bottom mount design, not saying yours was not genius. If anyone has anything here, I would appreciate it, but I may just have to go off alone on this one...

Beautiful, that is essentially what I am looking to do, but with a side dump rather than a front dump.

Here's a good shot of my solution. A piece of 1/2" schedule 40 stainless pipe serves as the axle. You could do something very similar with a keg.

dumplatch.jpg

Huh, I always imagined the posts being more to the middle of the keggle, but accross the bottom is a neat approach I did not consider. Thanks Yuri.

That is a hell of an idea. I could even use a long threaded rod as the axle. I never looked to see how much clearance there is between the bottom of the kettle and the skirt.

Here's a good shot of my solution.

Yuri_Rage as always you do a hell of a job.

I'm not using a converted keg, but I do have a tippy dump on my stand. I ended up fabricating a basket to hold the kettle. The pegs on the basket then sit in cradles on arms mounted to the stand.
cdburg looks very nice.
My setup is almost like yours, made for aluminum extrusion.

The basket
Tun5.jpg

Tippy dump stop

Mash_Tun_Stop.jpg

Pivot
Mash_Tun_Hanger3.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Here is Jaybird's tippy dump one the left. Notice the top flange has been cut off.

4595-000_0424.jpg

I know I've seen the one with a chute also, but darned if I can remember who it was.

I've been trying to come up with a way to make a tippy dump that mounted to the rig via the bottom skirt of the keggle but could be quickly removed (i.e. no bolts). Thought about using these somehow:

95018.gif

Its only $4.99 at harbor freight.

i've seen it with a long threaded rod. Offset it about 3 inches from the edge. There were two (oval shaped) holes drilled into the skirt. The bottom of the keg had to be pounded in just a bit to accomodate the rod, but I think depending on the offset, this might not be necessary. you can then mount the rod however you please. The above spring latch looks interesting though, but i don't understand why you would be removing the keg often enough to need that.

Latest posts

Back