Improved head and drinkability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoFlaBrewer

Reaction score
I could use some sage advice here.

All of my AG batches seem thin and lack head. I live in Florida and brew mostly ales for now until I get a lagering setup going. The glass carboy sits in a swamp wrapped in a towel which keeps the batch at 68 degrees. I bottle condition in a closet at 76 degrees. All of the batches have had good flavor but lack that drinkability that a beer should have. :(

I use TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculatorto calculate the amount of priming sugar to use based on type and volume of brew.

Is there any ONE thing I might try to improve during my brewing process? Or are there many factors at work here? I don't want to change too many things at once so a pecking order of things to try over the next few batches would be greatly appreciated.

Well for better head you could add some wheat.For body you could either mash a couple degrees higher or use some dextrine malts or malto dextrine.As for drinkability,I have no idea what you mean by that.Also recipes,mash temps would help everyone to answer your questions.

;could be low efficiency causing the thinness. make sure you are running off your sparges very, very slowly and mixing several times during mash. also make sure your sparge water is hot enough to heat the mash up to around 170-175.

as far as the head goes, make sure your bottles are never in contact with soap and are well rinsed. other than that, i can't help in the "head" department.;)

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Please don't use that word. You know the one...

What is wrong with your beer? Off flavors, poor carbonation?

The beer is definitely quaffable but just lacks that carbonation, head and lacing so indicative of quality. This is what I meant by drinkability. Mine just looks flat. It's not but might as well be.

Your fermentation temp is not the problem.

You should be using about 3/4 cup corn sugar (dextrose) per 5g batch. That should always produce a very frothy pour.

Note that bigger beers (i.e., > 1.060) might need more time to carb. A small beer will usually show foam in a week. Bigger will take 2-3 wks.

Although the beer foams, it usually takes several more weeks to get CO2 well dissolved into the beer. If you see some head, then it disappears and there are no streaming bubbles, then it probably needs more time; this is not fully carbed.

As mentioned before, head retention is greatly improved by grains with higher protein content. Wheat is one good example, but I add Carapils/Carafoam/Dextrine Malt to improve the body and head retention. Dirty glasses kill the head. Try pouring into a new plastic cup to test the "dirty glass" theory: the cup will be clean if it is new.

According to the fine people at Miller a "third" hop addition should help with your head retention. (obviously this is a sarcastic post...)

Cara-pils in small amounts *I use 4oz per 5 gallon* puts all that pretty head and lacing on the glass.

According to the fine people at Miller a "third" hop addition should help with your head retention. (obviously this is a sarcastic post...)

Actually, it will. The tannins in the hops bind the proteins in the beer to increase foam. The hoppier the beer is, the better the head.

Back