Anyone try Apfelwein from fresh pressed juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
I picked up a 1/2 gallon of fresh pressed Washington state Gala apple juice at the store today and man is it good. (Hagen's for $2.50 per 1/2 gal.) It's unfiltered and only has ascorbic acid added.

I've got a 2 week old batch of Apfelwein (juice from concentrate) fermenting right now and of course this got me wondering who has tried making Apfelwein with something other than juice from concentrate.

What about adding Pomagranate/Cherry juice or Pom/Blueberry. Anyone done anything like this?

I personally wouldn't use that high quality of a juice on apfelwein, not to offend EdWort at all. His recipe hits the taste he was going for using the ingredients he suggests.

If you want to ferment it I am all for that. I would definitely suggest a no sugar added cider, just take the stuff you buy add yeast and wait. No need to boost the abv or dry it out further by using it for an apfelwein alteration.

+1 on not wasting that high of quality cider to make apple wine. make hard cider. use an ale yeast like safale s04 or us-05 , or even better yet a sweet mead yeast. if you want ALL the appley flavor and sugar to ferment out, then use wine yeast and regular cheap apple juice.

Back