OK, RDWHAHB, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMack

Reaction score
So I'm hopefully fermenting my second batch. AHS Bavarian Dunkelweizen kit, brewing process went OK, little hiccups but nothing that I got panicked about. I have to ferment in the basement, at the request of SWMBO. Unforutnately I didn't realize that the temp down there was about 50 degrees when I put the bucket down there.

It spent about 24 hours down there and now has been in the kitchen (65-70 degrees) for about 24 hours. I'm planning on waiting another day or so to take a hydrometer reading to see if there has been any fermentation.

Is there anything else to do at this point?

Don't worry about it. What type of yeast did you use? Take a look at the yeast specifications and see what its temperature range is. I am willing to bet while not great at 50 it would still work to some extent.

You didn't hurt the yeast, just keep the fermenter around 65 and you will be fine. You may want to look into buying a Brew Belt or get a tupperware tote full of water and use an aquarium heater to keep it at 65 or so

Why take a hydro reading? Its just a waste of beer at this point. You know it's not done. Like Revvy said, give the yeasties a chance to wake up. And while 50 might support some ale fermentation just fine it will usually put ale yeast to sleep before they have had a chance to wake up. But just sleep. They should be happy and healthy in the kitchen.

Yeah, the yeasties will be happy in the kitchen. They are hard workers too. Maybe you can get them to wash some dishes to pay their rent?

Maybe swirl it up a bit and let the yeasts wake up and get going again. A hydro is not a bad idea, but it's probably not ready at that temp.

My trick for basement brewing is to use a wood pallet to get the fermenter up off the floor. Cold concrete seems to act as a heat sink. Same for conditioning in bottles - up off the floor.

Check out some good lagers....take advantage of that cool basement and get some extra fermenters.

I am fermenting in my shop where it gets done to about 40F at night. I use waterbaths with the aquarium heaters and can maintain good consistent ferment temps.

Try to ignore your SWMBO's silly requests from now on. I put my primaries and secondaries and cases where ever the temp is appropriate, scattered around the house. I am not winning any points with her, but my beer thinks I am cool as hell.

She's actually very accepting, as she enjoyed the first batch and realizes the benefits of the activity. It's the four year old and his little sister that we have to keep an eye on.

The beer is fermenting away in the kitchen. Thanks for the calming words.

Back