Adding cinnamon to Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Should I boil the cinnamon sticks before putting them into the primary or just throw em in after I mash them up?

Be careful with spices... I added 2 cinnamon sticks and 5 cloves to a 3 gallon batch of apfelwein, was overpowering. I heated them up in a couple cups of juice to sterilize and steep them before adding to the apfelwein recipe.

Be careful with spices... I added 2 cinnamon sticks and 5 cloves to a 3 gallon batch of apfelwein, was overpowering. I heated them up in a couple cups of juice to sterilize and steep them before adding to the apfelwein recipe.

Im guessing it was the 5 cloves, haha, I think adding one is usally pretty overpowering

i boiled a half stick of cinnimon and about 6 ntwists from a nutmeg grinder to add into a 1 gallon test batch.... dunno how it tastes yet since its not done. but ill keep ya posted on what happens.

its been just over a month now... ill prolly bottle it flat in another week or 2 and see how she goes.

so yeah... my spiced apfelwein plan... waaaaaayyy overpowering. i prolly would have been happy with the same amount of spices that i listed above in a 3 gallon batch.

I broke 4 cinnamon sticks in half and boiled with about a cup of the juice. They stayed in for the whole fermentation and aging (about 4 months total). It turned out very cinnamon-y...in a good way.

Since I am on my first batch of Apfelwein I can't say how much cinnamon but I did add some to a mead I made last year. I used ground cinnamon, and a little goes a long way. I added 1/2 teaspoon to 5 gal when I bottled it, and you can still taste it.

The process I used, was add cinnamon to a small amount of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add to bottling bucket.

I boiled 3 cinnamon sticks in a small amount of water and added it to the secondary. I left it in the secondary for 3 weeks before racking to the keg. It was the hit of our annual Novemberfest.

T-Hops..where in W.Wisconsin are you? I am down in LaCrosse, and I go to Oktoberfest..but never heard of Novemberfest around here.

I tried once when I was first starting out to add (I forget now) either a 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp of ground cinnamon to the fermentor right off the bat.......Whoa be careful. First and only time I've had massive blow off. It was like someone sprayed a 150 shot of nitrous on the fermentation within the first 12 hours. Not going to do that again! :drunk:

-Steve

I just started a 5 gallon batch of this apfelwein:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/
and also added 3 cinnamon sticks a clove boiled in apple juice to primary. I thought I had 5 8-oz bags of corn sugar, but they were only 5 oz, and I only added 25 oz of corn sugar instead of 32. I don't think it's a huge issue. Didn't check gravity though.

This is my first cider and I hope it goes well.

Back