Propane Regulator Fitting Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpschroeder

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to brewing, I've only made a couple small batches so far, but I'm loving it and diving all the way in. I've been piecing together all the various equipment I need to start doing 5 gallon batches, and I'm nearly there. Recently I got a good deal on a used Bayou Classic propane burner. I went outside yesterday to fire it up and realized the regulator it came with doesn't have the proper attachment for the standard 20# propane tanks.

So, I went to Lowes today, and physically brought the regulator, but of course the guy I spoke with there didn't know anything about fittings, and couldn't find anything either (it doesn't fit with the standard propane hose fittings). I'm hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction. I've tried doing some research, but have no idea what this fitting is called. Any ideas?
(see attached image)

photo copy.jpg

that is the old style/large tank connector.

It will screw into the inside threads of a new opd valve

that is the old style/large tank connector.

It will screw into the inside threads of a new opd valve

Are you referring to the smaller end of those threads? I've tried with the exposed threads, but they are slightly smaller than the inside threads on the opd valve. I've gotten in contact with the guy who sold it to me and they did indeed have it hooked up to a 250 Gal propane tank.

I've also tried removing it, and the damn thing is practically fused on there. Using standard pipe wrench anyway, I cant get it to budge. I've ordered a replacement hose just in case I cant get this thing ready to go before brew day. Any ideas on how to loosen them?

Are you referring to the smaller end of those threads? I've tried with the exposed threads, but they are slightly smaller than the inside threads on the opd valve. I've gotten in contact with the guy who sold it to me and they did indeed have it hooked up to a 250 Gal propane tank.

I've also tried removing it, and the damn thing is practically fused on there. Using standard pipe wrench anyway, I cant get it to budge. I've ordered a replacement hose just in case I cant get this thing ready to go before brew day. Any ideas on how to loosen them?

A vise and a bigger wrench. Maybe a cheater bar. I's suggest heat from a torch but I don't know what that would do to the regulator.

maida7 said:
A vise and a bigger wrench. Maybe a cheater bar. I's suggest heat from a torch but I don't know what that would do to the regulator.

Yeah, I'd stay away from heat on a regulator. You might try gently whacking it a couple of times, might have some loc-tite on it.

Back