One more eBrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whut

You heard me.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hooked everything up this evening for a test run with my new toys. Really wanted to see how long it takes to go from 80˚ to a boil but in reality, the bigger thing is I get to brew inside now. Winning all summer long! :mug:

No pics yet but I think I've sourced a flat top utility cart to use. Need something portable since I'll be moving everything from the garage to the laundry room on brew days (and then back again).

If anyone has a better option please share.

The link you supplied does not say what weight the shelf is rated for.

You don't want it to collapse under the weight of your full vessels!

I'm using a custom cart that i got for free from my employer. 1" thick steel top, 4" square tube legs and braces, all welded. It was built to hold a 1 ton riveting machine. They had it on adjustable feet for leveling. I installed super heavy duty casters.

I think my cart probably weighs close to 400#. Overkill, yes, but it will never collapse.

i had those same carts at an old job, they're extremely thick plastic.

(used to cart around stacks and stacks of plates on them. probably close to 300-400 plates which were the thick hotel ones) so i think he is perfectly good! :mug:

No pics yet but I think I've sourced a flat top utility cart to use.
If anyone has a better option please share.

Take a look on craiglist...the butcher block kitchen carts look pretty nice to me. Likely you will need to upgrade the casters unless wheeling it w/ empty pots.

Search "kitchen cart", "microwave chart", "kitchen Island"

I have seen some really nice kitchen type carts on wheels, butcher block, granite top, very cheap as well!

I used a steel shelving unit from Lowes that I added wheels to that were also from Lowes. It costs me around $75 for everything. It will hold the weight of a full 15 gallons kettle of water and grains no problem.

image-1700654770.jpg

Style Selections 36-in H x 24-in W x 18-in D 3-Tier Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit
Item #: 328962 | Model #: LO-RR-R-005B

The wheels are made by Waxman, they are 2 inch wheels that screw into the bottoms of the poles. I put the two locking wheels in the front and the non locking wheels in the back. It works great and if it does get sticky for any reason, it hoses off very easily.

Attachments

• image-798616539.jpg
    image-798616539.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 275
  • image-2657071979.jpg
    image-2657071979.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 270
  • image-497904812.jpg
    image-497904812.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 278
  • image-199591158.jpg
    image-199591158.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 264
  • image-3293313091.jpg
    image-3293313091.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 265
Sorry, I have no idea why so many pictures of the wheels got attached. The slightly larger one is a 3 inch wheel that costs a little more money than the 2 inch, it also comes in a locking version as well.

The link you supplied does not say what weight the shelf is rated for.

You don't want it to collapse under the weight of your full vessels!

I'm using a custom cart that i got for free from my employer. 1" thick steel top, 4" square tube legs and braces, all welded. It was built to hold a 1 ton riveting machine. They had it on adjustable feet for leveling. I installed super heavy duty casters.

I think my cart probably weighs close to 400#. Overkill, yes, but it will never collapse.

i had those same carts at an old job, they're extremely thick plastic.

(used to cart around stacks and stacks of plates on them. probably close to 300-400 plates which were the thick hotel ones) so i think he is perfectly good! :mug:

Thanks all. I did the research and found it's rated at 550#. Pulled the trigger this morning and ordered it along with a new water filter. With any luck the remaining parts will arrive by the following weekend and the build will begin with pics to follow. :ban:

The Lowes rack is rated for 350 pounds per shelf. A full 15 gallon brew pot including pot, fittings, element, grains, etc.... weighs no more than 200 pounds. This rack can definitely take it.

Scrapped the utility cart idea and modified my brew stand. Not a lot of spare time of late but this is where I'm at.

image.jpg

Just need to drill the hole in the MT for the heat exchange return and I'll be ready to brew again. :tank:

image.jpg

Back