Dishwasher to clean bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmarcucio

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and was wondering if you can put the bottles in a dishwasher to give them the initial cleaning (not to sanitize) before sanitizing before you bottle? Will the water get up into the bottles good enough in a dishwasher? Does anyone do this now?
Thanks

What I do is clean them by hand and make sure no yeast or beer is left. This I usually do right after pouring the beer that used to be in them. When I am ready to bottle I run a short cycle through my dish washer (no detergent), then I load up my bottles and run a full cycle (again, no detergent) and switch on the heat dry. Then I bottle right out of the dishwasher. The bottles get to about 180 for extended periods which sanitizes. been doing this since I started and have had zero issues.

the water does get up into the interior (atleast in my dishwasher) so this would work for cleaning as well, unless you have a bunch of junk stuck in there, then they might need a little more work.

I don't think the dish weasher can spray too well up inside such a small openning to clean them well inside. I soak'em in a bucket of PBW for a couple hours if they've already been delabeled.

Don't over engineer your efforts. Go get a few extra buckets or a rubbermaid tote, fill it with hot water and some PBW. Submerge your bottles over night and you'll be good to go. The trick is to make sure you are rinsing them out well after you drink what's in them. If you do that, an overnight soak in PBW is all you'll ever need

I use real hot water and oxy clean free in the sink. Let them soak then scrub as needed. Rinse real well then let dry. I have switched to washing bottles every once in awhile as I collect them and put foil over top to keep clean. Then when it is bottle time just need to sanitize.

I did my bottles in the dishwasher for the first time last weekend. I rinse them all out well after a pour and just ran them with no soap on the pots and pans cycle and heated dry. I'll see how that turned out in another week or so. Normally I do the Rubbermaid tub and PBW.

I rinse all bottles after pouring a beer. Then I run a bunch of bottles (only bottles) through the wash with dishwasher soap thingy that has jet dry in it and I have zero issue with head retention despite what collective "knowledge" on this website says about it causing it. My bottles are always clean as can be before goin into the starsan.

I always rinse my bottles, give them a shake with my thumb on the top and toss them in the dishwasher like any other dirty dish. Then they go into storage in the basement. On bottling day they go in the dishwasher on a sanitizing cycle without siap. Then they get four squirts of star San from the vinator on my bottle tree. Sounds complicated but it takes very little effort and no scrubbing. I also sleep well knowing that everything has been double sanitized.

I doubt that cleaning the bottles in the dishwasher will do an adequate job.

I wash out the bottles after use.
image_512.jpg

I then run the bottles through the hot cycle (no sanitize cycle on my machine)
then I use my Vinator with Starsan to sanitize then fill.
image_515.jpg

I always rinse right away, vigorously clean, then throw bottles in the dishwasher with the normal load before storing. When I'm ready to bottle I run my entire batch through the dishwasher with no detergent on pots and pans and bottle right from there. I've been doing that for six years with no gushers or bottle infections.

then throw bottles in the dishwasher with the normal load

Has anyone else who's done this found crud from the other dirty dishes getting into their bottles? That's what happened to me today, which is disappointing because this seemed like the easiest way to go about bottle cleaning; just sticking them in the dishwasher as you drink them.

When I finish a beer I always rinse out the dregs and put the bottle in the dishwasher. Then I put the bottle in storage until I am ready to bottle my beer. The bottles get sanitized immediately before beer goes in them.

Rinse well after drinking contents
remove label if any
place in dishwasher to clean (NOT sanitize)
store in boxes opening facing down
inspect, rinse and sanitize before use.

If you do not remove the labels before using the dishwasher the paper and glues will get all over the other dishes.

Back