GE Mini Fridge Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clw2112

Reaction score
I think i found a GE mini fridge on CL that i want to try and convert to a keggerator. Anyone have any luck? Any problems? My main concern is if anyone knows if i can fit 2 kegs in it and if the cooling lines are in the top of the fridge, i want to use a tower.

Thanks.

What model is it? I am currently converting a GE WMR04BAPBB. I am fortunate enough to have a diagram on the back of the fridge showing where all the coils are. There are no coils in the top so I am going with a tower. The only tricky part was the freezer shelf which is where the evaporator coil is located. It took a little force but I was able to pull the shelf out of the mounting brackets and and very slowly and carefully push the whole thing back so the bottom is against the back wall and did not kink the refrigeration lines. This fridge will fit 2 ball lock corny kegs. The only other thing I had to do was relocate the thermostat and remove the shelves from the door. Cheers.

Hey CBK. I have the same model as you and was wondering how to remove the ice tray. Do you have any pics you can share, so I know what to look for?

Thx!

Working on a GE conversion as well. Does anyone know if you can trim the excess metal from the edge of the evaporator (freezer shelf)? By excess I mean the portion that does not have coolant lines running through it that's basically used for mounting it to the fridge. Trimming that would give me enough room to move it up about the inch I need for clearance. I feel safer moving it an inch then bending it down the whole way. Has anyone done this?

Cwbeck3 said:
Working on a GE conversion as well. Does anyone know if you can trim the excess metal from the edge of the evaporator (freezer shelf)? By excess I mean the portion that does not have coolant lines running through it that's basically used for mounting it to the fridge. Trimming that would give me enough room to move it up about the inch I need for clearance. I feel safer moving it an inch then bending it down the whole way. Has anyone done this?

Can you bend in the sides slightly, then tilt the freezer up? Either do this or consider a small collar around the front door. Also, if you are using ball lock kegs, maybe going to pin locks would give you the clearance. Or a converted pin lock with ball connections for convenience. You can find pin locks for cheap, comparatively.

I converted a wmr04bapbb and you just bend it down (make sure the fridge is at room temp) slowly. But first you need to take some pliers and bend the edges of the freezer out of the shelving frame.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa419/HopDarnit/Kegerator Build/

Cincybrewer, I am doing a conversion on the same fridge. I have two question from viewing your photos. What part is the styrofoam in the third photo? was that from the door? Also did you remount the thermostat, or just leave it hanging in the back and lastly. Is your regulator and co2 inside or did you mount them outside?

Steve

IBrewthere4Iam -
Did you end up completing your conversion? I'm working on one as well. This thread and Cincybrewer have been helpful so far...

Back