Long secondary lambic in a plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmp

Reaction score
I'm looking at making a lambic that would age for a year or more. It looks like they work best with very small amounts of oxygen and people suggest barrels or stopping them with an oak plug, but what about just placing them in a plastic bucket? They've got a reputation for being oxygen permeable and it'd be nice to have any separate equipment tied up for that long and dedicated to sours be the inexpensive variety.

Has anyone aged long term in plastic buckets? Any issues?

Plastic buckets are MUCH more oxygen permeable than lambic barrels, or homebrew-sized barrels for that matter. Using something like a Better Bottle or a carboy with a wooden stopper would be your best bets.

If you have any acetobacter in your beer, it will scavenge the oxygen and produce acetic acid. Desirable to a limited extent in the Flemish Beers, but not in lambics.

+1, I age my lambics in better bottles. I do not trust a plastic bucket forr this application

Latest posts

Back