Cucumber and Coriander Wheat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
Woot! Racked this beast to the secondary today. Was brewed to be a light, crisp, refreshing summer session bev! Something like 3.7%ABV and I have to say, the hydro sample was SPOT ON! I cannot wait until the cucumber does it's work!

CnC.jpg

:rockin:

What work is the duke supposed to do?

My wife HATES cucumbers. But if this turns out good, i could maybe brew a smaller batch for just me. :)

Sounds awesome! I've had cucumber gin and that worked out really well. I'm thinking you're going to end up with an incredibly refreshing brew.

I can't even imagine how this would taste. Is it maintaining typical color despite the coriander? Definitely post your final results.

Hey peeps. I haven't pulled a sample from the secondary yet to make any observations. However, the color seemed relatively normal for what was put in.

What effect would coriander have on the color? It would seem to add none, unless I am mistaken.

I'll be sure to update this thread when necessary. I will likely pull a sample for tasting and gravity before the weekend. Cheers mates.

Herro.

Pulled a sample today. After 7 days on the cucumbers, the beer is SERIOUSLY breathtaking. Haha. But for real, it's friggin' delicious! VERY VERY refreshing and has a perfect cucumber nose and nice upfront flavor but still not overpowering.

I really recommend this to anyone interested in a great summer session brew!

More updates to come when she's all bottled and ready.

Herro.

Pulled a sample today. After 7 days on the cucumbers, the beer is SERIOUSLY breathtaking. Haha. But for real, it's friggin' delicious! VERY VERY refreshing and has a perfect cucumber nose and nice upfront flavor but still not overpowering.

I really recommend this to anyone interested in a great summer session brew!

More updates to come when she's all bottled and ready.

I'll be over in a minute... don't put away the thief...

Did you use the Campden Tab for the Cucumber?
How did you deal with the possibility of infection from the cucumber. And I noticed that they were peeled...I think that is probably a good idea but what was your reasoning for this? I think the skins would give more aroma. Not sure just asking...

Did you use the Campden Tab for the Cucumber?
How did you deal with the possibility of infection from the cucumber. And I noticed that they were peeled...I think that is probably a good idea but what was your reasoning for this? I think the skins would give more aroma. Not sure just asking...

It has been brought to my attention multiple times that the skins can add bitterness. I wanted no real perceived bitterness in the brew, just enough to bring balance. So, I peeled. Also, there's a HUGE cucumber aroma without the skins. So, I would skip worrying about the bitterness of the skins and just peel.

I decided to not deal with infection in the least. I literally sanitized my cutting board and knife, and went to town. Then just dumped the cukes in (sanitized hands). Risky? Maybe, but no infection currently.

Well, the 'final' product isn't out yet. I haven't had time to run to the LHBS to pick up bottles and I don't have nearly enough laying around. So, for now, she's still sitting pretty on the cucumbers in the secondary.

I will let everyone know though!

Sorry, quickly looked to left, saw a date and thought you brewed this in January...but that was your join date...oops! :)

Where did the coriander come in? I looked at the recipe and it wasn't listed. I like coriander on my steaks and thought about brewing with it.

Where did the coriander come in? I looked at the recipe and it wasn't listed. I like coriander on my steaks and thought about brewing with it.

I boiled crushed coriander for the last 10 mins of the boil.

MANY MANY MANY people use coriander in brewing. In fact, there are a few styles that MUST be brewed with it to be considered of that style. lol.

I'll chill one down tonight and post a picture tomorrow. It's a great looking and tasting brew! I have to say, this one is a SMASSSSSSH hit with EVERYONE! People who love beer, people who love Bud Light, and people who don't even drink beer.

For anyone that wants a light/refreshing summer ale, I definitely recommend this!

:)

Sure appreciate you leading the way with this one! I just racked mine sat and am excited. I did not use your recipe, only stole the cucumber idea. Certainly no coriander in mine. (I hope these pictures I attached come thru, never posted pics)

(tommy)

Looks good man. :) What did you end up using for a recipe?

soo any pics or updates. the recipe sounds interesting. I wouldnt tell anyone its in there. Id go for a subtleness to it.

soo any pics or updates. the recipe sounds interesting. I wouldnt tell anyone its in there. Id go for a subtleness to it.

Update: People LOOOOOOVE this beer. It's by far the crowd favorite thus far. I'll take a pic later this week.

I just posted this to my own post --- but figured I'd use the same text and photos as a reply since so many people have been asking.

Just poured my first cucumber wheat (idea stolen from shauntraxler: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/cucumber-coriander-wheat-238257/ )

It is actually surprisingly good. The nose is clearly cucumber; the cucumber taste is obvious, yet not overpowering. I normally do not like fruit, or vegetable, beers, but this is the perfect one to use for brewing. The cucumber flavor sours the beer in the same way an orange would -- I have not had it on a hot afternoon yet, but I imagine it will be great.

Recipe:
3 pounds L-DME
3 pounds wheat DME
1 ounce hallertau (60 min)

5 days in primary
5 days in secondary + 3lbs of skinned/sliced cucumbers
7 days in bottle

5.1% (no coriander because that is the most God awful ingredient ever created)

---drink responsibly-----

100_0365.jpg

100_0366.jpg

100_0367.jpg

Awesome Thomas!

I'm so glad it turned out good for you! I only used like 1/2 the recommended coriander amount for a witbier. So the coriander is a fantastic supporting flavor, and actually has no real discernability (I just invented that word) at all.

:)

This beer looks amazing. I *love* cucumbers -- easily one of my favorite vegetables.

This is a strong candidate for my next beer.

Getting excited!! I am doing a cucumber Citra Saison next weekend. I decided to go with Extra light DME for my extract. I hope it is not so light that the hops take it over. I am thinking Citra will bring out some really nice qualities and still let the cukes shine through.

Latest posts

Back