Best Wii Shooters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I love the RESIDENT EVIL franchise, such as RE4, but the Wii versions of the game still have the "stop and shoot" that has become so distracting.

Especially when little no name games such as Death Jr Root of Evil (a nice game in it's own right) have made the "run and gun" method of firing in one direction while moving in a completely different direction a thing of beauty, the RE4 games have become less fun to play, even with the added control and realism of the wii pointer.

What games do you love? don't have to be shooters.

I've only tried a few games, but I can't get the Wii to be anywhere near accurate and feel like I want to play. The plastic gun cases that hold the wii remote are just way off in the pointer. I don't know if there are any dedicated gun controllers that aren't ones that plug in the standard remote, but the 2 I've tried suck arse.

I think the definition of shooter must've changed. I thought shooters were like Raiden or Radiant Silvergun? Well, I was going to pop on and suggest Lords of Thunder.

I haven't played the RE4 sort of shooter in ages. I found the remote to be accurate enough for Trauma Center and that requires some somewhat exact pointing and movement. I do think I might pick up Goldeneye. I hear good things about it though it isn't exactly the same sort of game as RE4 either.

It's a wii. You want a great first person shooter, buy an xbox or PS3. That being said. I want Goldeneye.

I'm telling you, Death JR on wii blows anything on the x-box out of the water. The "X-BOX" feel of RE4 is what is prompting this thread.

I value your opinion, but you obviously haven't played a good shooter on the wii. Death Jr is a cartoony kids game on the wii, but it's run and gun with the wii pointer is more realistic than anything xbox or any non pointer can even come close to.

Maybe if your 12 years old :drunk:
This right?
3844590430_fd5fb4dc5f.jpg

Death Jr is better than a lot of the stuff I see labeled as "Rated M" (which is just marketspeak for "Made to Appeal to 13 Year Old Boys").

:drunk:....Kinda my point IP. Thanks for backing me up.

Yeah.

That KIDS GAME shooter is way more BAD ASS than RE4, (one of my favorite games ever), call of duty, or anything else that uses that xbox controller because of the wii remote's ability to point and shoot targets while your character runs wherever you want.

PLAY IT. You obviously don't get it.

With all due respect IP, I am not frustrated that I can't find bad assed wii shooters, I AM FRUSTRATED BECAUSE MY 8 YEAR OLD'S KIDS GAME IS BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF WHAT XBOX HAS TO OFFER, SO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE! I am just starting to search, I will let you know what I find.

I sold my Wii because all they make are kids games. PS3 has some fantastic games. Xbox has the best multiplayer and best shooters. Personally I took the money and bought a new custom built game PC for $450 (yes it can play anything).

Maybe you aren't getting the right games? The new CoD is supposed to be great, MoH, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, the new Halo??!! Hello? Wii has NOTHING for anyone over 12.... I even tried the new Wii mario games and they STINK!

The only great game I played for Wii was Zelda. Highly recommended, I'm bummed I cant play the new one. I had RE4 and that was fun with two people but its not really a very good game. Once you beat it, the flaws start to come out. Its not bad but it's just very simple. Links Crossbow was okay but again simple and gets boring fast.

I was confused when you were saying shooter. I was thinking FPS, not adventure type play. I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

I actually liked RE4 on the gamecube, but bought it again for the wii version.

The Metroid games are also awesome on the wii.

Conduit looks good, I will check out Katana too.

The "Kids games" on wii are so freaking good, especially from an adventure/shooter standpoint, that real games would be incredible on it.

Call of Duty, Black Ops, etc. Kids games eh Mikee? The wii plays gamecube games, but if I like them, I find myself re-buying them for the wii version due to the wii's unquestionably better handling and controls.

So I looked up some info on the Death Jr game and it seems to have a lot of "story" with it. I don't care for much talky/dramatic build up with my games. I just want to crunch stuff or drive fast, not follow a friggin' PLOT...where's Death Jr on that spectrum? Too talky?

hmmmmmm, some talk and dark humor between levels (story I guess), but really, it hits pretty hard and seldom lets up. The "story" is only between levels.

There are some technical bits that involve indiana jones like whip technique intertwined with a twirling action to float that is critical in some levels that I liked, but lost patience with.

My 8 year old has beaten the whole game 4 times through. I gave up too easily, but never got close.

It does have a good bit of dark, cartoonish humor, but I think you can skip it.

The run and gun capability is unreal.

Listening to my daughter play downstairs, sounds like world war 3 interspersed by brief play by play from peter weller.

I bought a wii years ago and I have to say for myself it isn't worth it. For the "boss" and the family that come over it is awesome. They will do all kinds of herking and jerking trying to win, problem is they all want to play wii bowling or mario baseball. Unfortunately the devil in me got tired of buying games no one liked after two days so I modded it and ripped all my bad games to an external hard drive.

So I looked up some info on the Death Jr game and it seems to have a lot of "story" with it. I don't care for much talky/dramatic build up with my games. I just want to crunch stuff or drive fast, not follow a friggin' PLOT...where's Death Jr on that spectrum? Too talky?

It's a little talky but it's no Super Paper Mario.

Well, the wii has been a little slow to pick up the "grown up" games, with the bowling, etc. being so successful, but it seems they are picking them up.

I actually played Death Jr again last night after all of this talk.

I wish the theme was a little more grown up, but the shooting and game play are awesome. The talking is somewhat amusing and bizarre (my kind of dark nonsensical humor) but not intrusive, and you can skip the "movies" between scenes, although those are a little gruesome and entertaining.

It may actually be the bad assed shooter I am seeking.

I brushed it aside because it was a little cartoony (although the dead deformed toys you fight are actually fairly scary) probably because my 8 year old girl took to it so easily.;)

I just figured that if a cartoonish kids game handled the shooting so well that it made the resident evil and metroid franchises on gamecube almost unplayable (after getting so used to the effortless and more realistic "pointer" rather than cursoring an "X" around the screen) that any grown up shooters would blow away anything ever made.

Obviously X-box now has pointers, no debate on copy cat or who had it first, so that may be the way to go (not going to happen until they are used and available for $50) but there is no denying that since super mario brothers, Nintendo (wii) is better at making games.

I don't want a mindless shooter, but I don't want Final Fantasy XVI with some shooting either.

but there is no denying that since super mario brothers, Nintendo (wii) is better at making games.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Games are like beers, you can't say "no denying" which style is "better". Just which ones you prefer. I think Modern Warfare II (don't have black ops) for 360 is a far superior game to anything on a nintendo wii that I've played. It's just not he same experience. Which is fine, just not the experience I'm looking for when I have an evening to play video games alone.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Games are like beers, you can't say "no denying" which style is "better". Just which ones you prefer. I think Modern Warfare II (don't have black ops) for 360 is a far superior game to anything on a nintendo wii that I've played. It's just not he same experience. Which is fine, just not the experience I'm looking for when I have an evening to play video games alone.

:mug:

....and I should have qualified that statement. I stay behind the times to pay less for games. I just got RE4 for the wii for 5.50 on ebay last week.

The wii bowling etc, childish as it may seem, redefined gaming when it came out.

The pointer is so well suited to shooters since you point and shoot like a real gun, but with the complex controls not afforded by a "light gun" and integrated with story and aspects not seen in a "doom" like 1st person shooter.

All right, based on this thread, I went to game stop and attempted to locate a copy of Death Jr...to no avail. Instead, I was pointed in the direction of DeadRising, "chop til.you drop". It looked good...hacking zombies with a lawnmower or baseball bat in a shopping mall.

Well, poo. Turns out it is BORING. I find myself listening to dialog and story set-up. Then, my character wanders.around various mechanical rooms and closets, requiring complex combinations to pick up things like buckets and cooking oil. (really. Cooking oil.) Finally I end up finding some zombies and flailing randomly until I eventually die and get eaten. Supposedly, I'm to be on a mission to lead survivors to safety, but it is FAR too complicated for me. I can't even figure out why I'm swinging a park bench at the undead when I KNOW I picked up a shotgun at some point.

I'm hopeless. I should just go back to playing with a yo-yo or roller skates.

How do I find a game that doesn't make me feel like a loser? I simply want an action game that is mindless and uncomplicated. Something that will help me relieve stress instead of causing it?

help.

Such a video game doesn't exist. They are all designed to piss you off and leave you screaming at the TV until you get mad enough to throw the controller, insult everyone in the room and have a metdown only the worst 5 year old is capable of.

If you want mindless, get Mario Party. You don't get to chop or kill anything, but its dead simple and pretty fun.

All right, based on this thread, I went to game stop and attempted to locate a copy of Death Jr...to no avail. Instead, I was pointed in the direction of DeadRising, "chop til.you drop". It looked good...hacking zombies with a lawnmower or baseball bat in a shopping mall.

Well, poo. Turns out it is BORING. I find myself listening to dialog and story set-up. Then, my character wanders.around various mechanical rooms and closets, requiring complex combinations to pick up things like buckets and cooking oil. (really. Cooking oil.) Finally I end up finding some zombies and flailing randomly until I eventually die and get eaten. Supposedly, I'm to be on a mission to lead survivors to safety, but it is FAR too complicated for me. I can't even figure out why I'm swinging a park bench at the undead when I KNOW I picked up a shotgun at some point.

I'm hopeless. I should just go back to playing with a yo-yo or roller skates.

How do I find a game that doesn't make me feel like a loser? I simply want an action game that is mindless and uncomplicated. Something that will help me relieve stress instead of causing it?

help.

Mindless and uncomplicated? Get on WiiWare and pick up Bomberman Blast. It's dirt simple: You drop a bomb. In three seconds, bomb blows up. Whatever is in the way (including you) goes bye-bye. All you have to do is kill kill kill.

I have had good luck getting games on ebay.

with shipping I got RE4 wii version for $8.

I may be willing to give up my deathjr in a couple of years.;)

Such a video game doesn't exist. They are all designed to piss you off and leave you screaming at the TV until you get mad enough to throw the controller, insult everyone in the room and have a metdown only the worst 5 year old is capable of.

If you want mindless, get Mario Party. You don't get to chop or kill anything, but its dead simple and pretty fun.

That made me laugh! I was at a friends house, I brought over my Wii Resort game, and we were playing ping pong, I was busy crushing ping pong dreams when while trying to save a shot he knocked over a bowl with the remote, it wobbled across the coffee table, spilling what was left in it on the way and smashed into shards on the floor, at this he removed the lanyard, and rifled the remote at the tv, missed the tv by inches and flew through both panes of the monsterous arched window in his livingroom. I felt so bad that I could not stop laughing because he caused such destruction over a virtual PING PONG game!!

Metroid Prime: Corruption was a really enjoyable run-and-gun shooter for the wii. It's been out for a while, so used copies should be available at good prices.

Good Point JDS. I have the x-box version of that too.

I got to the last boss on the first one and lost interest. Also, I found it hard to believe that she would keep losing all of her weapons and slowly recover them each and every game.;)

I guess I will have to get the trilogy though, still at least $40.

I can't believe no one has mentioned 'House of the Dead.'

Super fun. Co-op. What else do you need? :D

Looks fun enough.........It also looks like you are "firmly stuck on rails", in other words, old school "sit in place" shooters.

The beauty of the wii (or it's potential) is that you could run willy-nilly all around a 3D world, while shooting at whatever you want, even if you are running backwards and shooting at something off to your left.

The thing RE4 and the rest lack, is what Deathjr has.

While you roam in a perfectly acceptable way in a good 3d world in RE4, all the while pointing your cross hairs wherever, you have to STOP (so abruptly that whatever you were aiming at is no longer in your crosshairs, and then shoot. While standing stock still.

Death Jr may not be perfect, to say that you could run backwards over rough terrain and still shoot with incredible accuracy at whatever, is not realistic.

Nor is RE4's assumption that you could not take a pot shot or 3 at a target while running past.

Interesting TX, not what I had in mind, but hey! I wasn't finding what I had in mind.

I will check it out!

Goldeneye for the Wii is fun with the Wii Zapper, more fun, in my opinion than using the wii remote or classic controller.

And it makes me wish they would actually remake the movie with Daniel Craig. The Wii version of the game is better than the actual movie Goldeneye.

I just got Goldeneye for Wii. I don't have the zapper, but with the normal Wii remote, its pretty darn fun. Its not quite mindless killing, but there isn't really any long story to follow. Not really any more cutscenes than the original.

I got the 007 Wii game for christmas, but I also got Black Ops for 360 and a Kinect for the 360, so it may be a while before the 007 on wii get's tested. Who am I kidding, it will be a while before any of them get tested.
I got the Perfect Shot Wii pistol, but not the zapper

Hopefully the kinect will put more pressure on wii to come up with some more grown up games.

I don't see any need for a zapper or gun with the wii.

Unless you actually intend to look through physical crosshairs, which will never line up precisely.

After reasonably extensive search....

Metroid Prime is freaking amazing. Best use of 3D world and independant shooting from whatever direction you go.

Call of Duty (several versions) do a GREAT job and have extremely similar controls to Metroid Prime. I accept the slightly worse graphics and controls because I understand that the world is trying to replicate reality, not fantasy, and the AI cohorts probably take a lot more memory etc., than the AI enemies (present in either game).

Death Jr is better than a lot of the stuff I see labeled as "Rated M" (which is just marketspeak for "Made to Appeal to 13 Year Old Boys").

Death Jr is still far more awesome than many of you will ever know.

Back