Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed the centenniel blond about 4 times so far and it is definitely a crowd pleaser. I actually cut the hops in half at every addition in the last batch and it REALLY goes down smooth and does NOT last long around my friends.

I have brewed the centenniel blond about 4 times so far and it is definitely a crowd pleaser. I actually cut the hops in half at every addition in the last batch and it REALLY goes down smooth and does NOT last long around my friends.

I'm on my third batch and this has been the best of my brews by far. I'm also experimenting with less hops in my current effort. Good to hear someone else has given this a shot and is pleased with the outcome.

FedEx brought my second Brewmasters Warehouse BM Blonde recipe yesterday. First batch is going fast! I'm not changing a thing.

Just snagged the first sample from the keg. Clean and crisp is a great description. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a lager.

Color is light straw and could easily be mistaken for a BMC...until you taste it. No hop aroma to speak of, but the flavor is wonderful. Mine finished pretty dry (1.006) but there's still a hint of sweetness and great flavor from the grain.

I'm glad I bought ingredients for 20 gallons ;)

-Joe

Nostalgia, what did you end up fermenting at? I recall you thinking of lowering the temp a bit, did you do that or stick with your originally planned temp?

I've only brewed this with all Simcoe because of what was on hand. I'll be doing it again this month for a bachelor party with Simcoe because I have 2 ounces still. Someday I'll brew it as called for, but the Simcoe version is quite good too.

new here, from so cal. found this recipe. sounded good, so im trying it for my 1st all grain experiment. just finished mashing/sparging, and the kettle is on the boil Looks like my mash tun can use a little work to speed up draining. we will see how this turns out.

Just came back from the party I made it for. There weren't a lot of beer drinkers there, but everyone who tried it LOVED it. I know I had at least 6 pints. It went down so easy in the hot sun.

My Miller-drinking brother made me leave him several 2-liter bottles full :)

-Joe

What do you think?

Most folks use corn sugar unless there's a specific reason not to. DME works fine, is a tad slower to carbonate, and leaves a krausen ring around the top in the bottle.

I asked this same question a couple of years back. Never did receive a good reason for using DME which doesn't mean there isn't one I guess....

yikes, i made this recipe but checked last night and the gravity was already at 1.004. i quickly racked the beer. it may have quickly dropped due to the high temperature in Oregon over past week.

anyways i'm hoping it still tastes good.

Ok, so I kegged this today, it has fermented for 7 days. it's still air temp but i tried a sample and it seems ok, not very hoppy, and very light in color, almost light blond.Lots of hop and yeast residue on the upper walls of the brew bucket. so its in the kegerator, I'll chill it for a week and try another sample.

I'm a bit new to this, so I'm not sure what to expect. we had a warm spell this week, so I think the the wort temp exceeded 75 dg. I'm in the process of converting another mini fridge I had sitting around into a fermenting chamber, it will be much easier to control temp of the fermentation.

Any advice, opinions, or comments greatly appreciated

Just brewed my second 5 gal batch of this (partial mash) yesterday. The first batch was a vacation winner. Everyone in my family, including dyed in the wool BMC drinkers, liked it. And this was despite the fact that my mash was on the high side as it was the first partial mash I had ever tried. With the one yesterday, I had the temp under control right around 150 the entire time and my OG was spot on. Added a little bitter orange peel (not much...just a half oz), and some coriander seed that I had left over from a Sterling Gold batch so can't wait to see how it turns out.

Just brewed my second 5 gal batch of this (partial mash) yesterday. The first batch was a vacation winner. Everyone in my family, including dyed in the wool BMC drinkers, liked it. And this was despite the fact that my mash was on the high side as it was the first partial mash I had ever tried. With the one yesterday, I had the temp under control right around 150 the entire time and my OG was spot on. Added a little bitter orange peel (not much...just a half oz), and some coriander seed that I had left over from a Sterling Gold batch so can't wait to see how it turns out.

The adddition of Orange peel should be nice. I squeezed a lime ino mine one day while making some Carniasada Burrito's (in the mood for mexican) and it just sounded good. Glad I did, this beer taste fantastic with any kind of citrus in it. :mug:

I brewed the extract version of this and it tastes excellent.....its just about all gone. The only thing I wish I could do is make it with a higher Alchol content.....I believe this ended up at around 4%.....I just kept drinking and drinking....

ANything wrong with adding more malt to it to boost the alcholo content (maybe up to 5%)? Can I do that without adjusting anything else...or should I modif the hop amounts or times?

ANy advise? Thanks!

--- snip---

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU

0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I brewed this up a couple weeks ago and screwed up the first hops addition (added 1/2 oz centennial) so to compensate I shortened the boil time to 40 mins so it wasn't too hoppy. It turned out EXCELLENT. We plowed through the keg.

I am brewing again today and determined to brew an exact-to-recipe (though extract, but I am lazy) batch. Maybe this is some notation I am not familiar with, but the boil time says 60 mins but the first hops addition is added at a 45 minute boil.

Am I missing something? Is it a 45 minute boil or a 60 minute boil?

No hops for the first 15 min of the 60 min boil.

I used WLP001 yeast and the temperature spiked to 75C during a hot spell in Oregon so when i tasted my batch of this beer while racking to keg I have some banana flavors. Not sure if that was due to the high temperatures or not.

No hops for the first 15 min of the 60 min boil.

I used WLP001 yeast and the temperature spiked to 75C during a hot spell in Oregon so when i tasted my batch of this beer while racking to keg I have some banana flavors. Not sure if that was due to the high temperatures or not.

Thanks for the quick reply! It's boiling this very moment.

Using Notty I also had high temps (topped out at around 77!) even though I had the AC on in the house. No funky flavors though.

Follow-up question: what purpose is there in boiling with no hops? Does it just darken the beer (esp w/ extract) or is something else going on? My understanding is that the boiling is strictly for hops bittering.

I brewed the AG version of this (first time with all grain). It's been in the keg for about a week & a half. Is it supposed to have a strong "bread" smell & taste to it? I don't get much of any hoppyness, but I believe that's to be expected, but the bread bit throws me off some. Does it just need to age & will it mellow a bit?

I brewed the AG version of this (first time with all grain). It's been in the keg for about a week & a half. Is it supposed to have a strong "bread" smell & taste to it? I don't get much of any hoppyness, but I believe that's to be expected, but the bread bit throws me off some. Does it just need to age & will it mellow a bit?

I didn't get a bread smell at all, i have almost no odor at all on my batch. it might clean up with some time but not sure, sounds strange. what yeast did you use?

How is it with the Pacman? Pacman isn't as clean of fermenting yeast as SA 05 or Nottinghams. It still should be good though

I've made three batches of this brew. No hint of bread with any. Would be suspect of your yeast but thats just my guess.

I was under the impression that Pacman was a very clean yeast, imparting little flavor of it's own. Hrm... maybe that's it though. Perhaps my "all-grain" stovetop method was flawed.

How is it with the Pacman? Pacman isn't as clean of fermenting yeast as SA 05 or Nottinghams. It still should be good though

I've done this brew with both pacman and with WLP001. Different batches, so I can't say the differences were only limited to the yeast strain, but I preferred the one fermented by WLP001. No bready result with the pacman as reported by the previous poster, but WLP001 fermented out with a crisper, more refined/finished flavor. Just my $.02.

Kegged this a week ago. I wouldn't normally brew a beer this light as I'm a hop-head but my wife has a bbq party tomorrow and I wanted to brew something "for the masses", a beer that basically everyone would enjoy. I just tapped into the keg and I'm wishing I'd dry-hopped it just a tad. It's very simple in taste with virtually no craft beer aroma at all. At least in mine, there's just not a lot to it. I'd throw in some hops now but recently dry-hopped beer can taste kind of funky so I'm gonna wait until after the party and maybe put an ounce of Centennial or Amarillo in there. I did use an S-05 starter instead of the Notty because I had some washed.

:mug:

I took a bottle over to a friend's house, who is also a homebrewer. His wife doesn't like much of what he or I make.

I went upstairs with a glass full of the Centennial Blonde and offered her a taste. She put down her Coors Light and took a sip.

A few minutes later I was handed back an empty glass ;)

-Joe

I am making Edwort's Haus pale ale with the Notty yeast soon, could I just put this recipe straight on top of the yeast cake from that?

I am making Edwort's Haus pale ale with the Notty yeast soon, could I just put this recipe straight on top of the yeast cake from that?

You could.... but it'd be a little much. It'd probably give off flavors due to an extreme amount of yeast. Just harvest and wash some of the yeast and use that instead. I'm not against using yeast cakes, but only for similar styles or higher gravity beer that have a similar or higher SRM than the last batch. Save yourself the effort and spent the 2 dollars for another packet of Notty. It's pretty much the cheapest yeast around anyway...

I brewed this recipie, but added a twist of lemon the last few minutes of the brew, and also a little lemon zest to the secondary for a few days. Once it matured in the bottles, it has real nice lemon scent and hint in the flavor. Turned out real well.

good recipie.

Made this as a partial mash, stuck to recipe. Spent 3 weeks in primary, 1.5 weeks in keg. It's very good, great color but has kind of a "malty" taste. Not bad, just not expected. Were my expectations wrong or did I goof somewhere? OG 1.040, FG 1.007.

Brewfat,

Both batches I have made seem malty to me as well. I upped the hops just a tad on my last batch and the maltyness was still there but in my opinion more balanced. It did seem to mellow out a bit over time. As always, the last pour I got from my keg was the best :)

Made this as a partial mash, stuck to recipe. Spent 3 weeks in primary, 1.5 weeks in keg. It's very good, great color but has kind of a "malty" taste. Not bad, just not expected. Were my expectations wrong or did I goof somewhere? OG 1.040, FG 1.007.

My batch turned out at 5% (or something like 4.98%) and tasted pretty malty. I can mostly taste the caramel malt and cascade hops. But maltier than expected. Pretty sure my mash temp was like 148-150.

Brewfat,

Both batches I have made seem malty to me as well. I upped the hops just a tad on my last batch and the maltyness was still there but in my opinion more balanced. It did seem to mellow out a bit over time. As always, the last pour I got from my keg was the best :)

I considered more hops before I brewed this batch but decided to leave it alone. I should probably get more opinions first. No sense messing with a good thing.
This is the first batch I kegged so I'm expecting it to go fast. Working on my pipeline.

Back