Poor Scots Strong Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
Thinking of developing a beer based on what an old, poor, broken down, experienced, rough, jaded, scottish grandpa would likely make.

I'm thinking he wants a high gravity ale to "keep tha missus flapping jowls toned down ta a dim roaar".

I'm thinking he wants to use whats on hand because "tha offspring ave taken all me monay".

So, I guess probably just a strong scotch ale using only base grains, maybe say 20lbs, mash high at say 158F, pour the fresh wort into an already red hot kettle (I should use wood for this), boil it for 6 hours, throw an ounce of cheap hops in, boil another hour (after I go chop another chord of wood), maybe throw some heather tips in (maybe 1/2 oz or less) at 10 mins. then cool it, steal some yeast from the neighbor clan (Or trub from a carboy), pitch and ferment in primary for two weeks, rack to secondary for a long ass time, then swill.

Do you think this would make a traditional strong scotch ale? What else or what different would this grandpa do?

Any and all suggestions are welcome:mug:

I don't have any input other than I love this concept!

PLEASE keep up updated! I'm rolling with laughter over here.

haha great concept. IMO, I'd pass on the full 6 hour boil (unless hes napping), and split off a smaller part of the batch and do a hard boil on it and throw it back into the rest of the pot.

haha great concept. IMO, I'd pass on the full 6 hour boil (unless hes napping), and split off a smaller part of the batch and do a hard boil on it and throw it back into the rest of the pot.

That would certainly save time but I am looking for the influence of the open pit smoke wafting over the boiling wort for a long ass time (and a few burnt ashes in the wort, a little bird ****e, etc), I suppose I could wood fire a small pot of wort, but not sure I would get the same influence. I could also use some smoked malt, but "grandpa" doesn't have that on hand.

Keep those suggestions coming:mug:

You know, I was thinking about getting a fire in my Big Green Egg up really hot and trying to boil on that, but I didn't think I'd be able to control it very well. I'm curious about your approach here for a more "rustic" brew that could stand to be manhandled a little bit. Document the heck out of this. In fast, if you take pics, I insist you do it in a kilt and false beard. (DISCLAIMER: Wearing a fasle beard around an open flame is stupid!)

I'm thinking I'll fashion a heavy wire handle on my keggle, I could fashion a large A frame or tripod from logs over the fire pit (I'd probably just use the hoist on the back of the tractor though) with a stout hook to hang it from and start throwing on the firewood! To remove it when we're done, just pass another log/pipe through the handle with one of us on each end and lift (Or swing it away with the tractor).

Wouldn't need a false beard, might need to let it grow a while though.

Getting excited now! This is easily doable:rockin:

Back