Moving from primary to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearkluttz

Reaction score
I just ran out and bought a new primary bucket because i found that i have a VERY slow leak around the spigot on my current primary ( which from now on will be my bottling bucket ). Due to high shipping temps it has not yet started fermentation (at least visually, bubbles and such which i know isn't a good thing to judge by but it has been 30 hours or so since i pitched). Assuming that my sanitation is up to par can i safely transfer this beer to the new bucket. Should i be concerned with aeration at this point or would it still be a bonus? Thanks in advance

Aeration probably would not be a good thing at this point. Your yeasties have probably done most of their reproduction already.

If it's a *very* slow leak, I'd hold off, but if not, rack very quietly and beware of stuck fermentation from the trauma of racking.

Go ahead and transfer it. Extra oxygen at this point isn't a problem. Even if the yeast have switched over to fermentation, some of them will switch back.

I'd try to suck as much stuff off the bottom of the fermenter as possible, just to be safe.

be clean and sanitary, should be good. Another reason i don't use spigoted buckets for primary...but to each his/her own :)

Back