sanke keg size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfish63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the kegs I purchased and they are stamped 50litres. That is 13.2 gallons not the 15 I was expecting. Are there 2 different sizes? I had assumed a half barrel was a half barrel.

2 are bass one is a busch but the volume on it is covered with insulation. I kind of came to the same conclusion after I posted. It is a shame that the guy I bought them from set the busch keg up for a HLT. Will I be able to do a ten gallon batch in the 13.2 gallon?

I filled the keg and can boil 12.5 gallons of water in it. I also wanted if my 5 dollar purchase of a bayou classic with 10psi regulator would work for a boil. So is 12.5 gallons enough for a double batch of AG?

Just wanted to see if I need to look for a new keggle. Is a 12.5 gallon boil enough to do a 10 gallon batch. Or is it too close? I bought this set up and never noticed the difference in sizes. The 15 gallon keg is set up as the HLT. It is a shame there wasn't more thought put into it. Oh well it was still cheap enough.

I have a change at 3 or more sanke's at 15 a peice. Good price??
The post I'm buying from says Cornelius Kegs, and in an email from the aldy she said they are Sanke. I'm new to keg terminology. What is Cornelius, Sanke, and can they refer to the same keg?

Cornelius generally = 5 Gallon
Sanke generally = 15.5 Gallon

that being said, there are 3 Gallon Cornies and 5 gallon sankes.

Sanke is the style of the connector on top - like a traditional half barrell keg you get from a liquor store.

Cornelious kegs are usually soda kegs and have either ball lock or pin lock connectors to add CO2 and distribute the beer.

Jfish, you might be able to swap the HLT for the kettle if you don't mind removing the electric aspect. You could just plug the holes made for the elements (if they're threaded). Of course, that means you'd be adding another LP burner to the stand but that's not a big deal.

However, 12.5 gallons is plenty for 10 gallons finished if you keep your boils to 60-70ish minutes.

bobby m
Thanks I had thought about the swap but there is also a hole on the bottom. It has a T fitting one side to the circ pump and one to a valve. It might be more of a pain than it is worth. I would swap one of the 13.2 gallon ones with someone wanting a MLT or HLT for a 15 gallon for my self.

Back