Blending yeast varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg1506

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew a Belgian Quad (partial mash--hope to hit 1.080+) and my original plan was to use 3787 Trappist High Gravity. I also have a pack of 3739 Flanders Golden (special release). After reading some great things about this yeast I am considering blending the two.

I am interested in anyone's opinion as to:

1) Should you blend yeast varieties?
2) If you do, what is the proper technique? (i.e. Should you pitch both at the same time or let one do its magic, add some nutrient or Belgian candy sugar and pitch the other?)?

Also, if I am missing something in my questions please share any other thoughts you might have!

Thanks so much--I've only been at it for about 3 1/2 months and have a couple successful Belgians under my belt (a ginger saison and a BGSA which is just working away in a secondary now for the last month plus after 3 weeks in primary--gone from 1.080 to 1.012 using one smack pack of 1388)). Love these styles and am eager to learn more!

I would say it depends on what you want out of these two different yeasts.

If you want the flavor profile from the 3739 and the attenuation from the 3787 then I would pitch the 3739 once the wort is cooled and pitch the 3787 with a starter at high krausen after the 3739 crap out.

It depends on what you are looking for out of the combo.

I do a Tripel using 1214 and 3787. The first time I did it I just pitched them both in equal amounts. It was good , but mostly 3787. I think it is because 1214 takes longer to start. So the next time I brewed it I made a big starter of 1214 and just pitched the pack of 3787. That brew I got a little more flavor of the 1214, but still some 3787.

There is no one way to do it. Just figure out if you want one to dominate the flavor profile or if you want them to blend more.

Thanks to you both for the input. Quick question--what do you consider a "big starter"? I've not used a starter yet, have researched pitch-rate a bit, but would still appreciate input (I also intend to view the forums). The-

Another technique is to split the batch (or double it, if you have the capacity) then pitch each separately and combine them post fermentation.. This also allows you to really control the flavor that you are getting. It can be hard to repeat, though, if you want to make it again.

Thanks to you both for the input. Quick question--what do you consider a "big starter"? I've not used a starter yet, have researched pitch-rate a bit, but would still appreciate input (I also intend to view the forums). The-

At least 2l for a 5 gallon batch

Back