Removing hop trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Just fermenting my first all-grain batch which seems to be going fine. It was a pale ale with centennial and cascade hops. I was wondering if removing most of the hop trub before filling the fermenter has any effect on the taste of the beer.
If the hop gunk was in the fermenter would you get a more pronounced hop aroma/taste?

I don't have any sources to quote on this but my gut says no. That trub would be mostly spent as far as getting more flavor and since dry hopping early is useless because the co2 scrubs it then I'd say you won't get any aroma either.

Yes I meant from the kettle. I wasn't sure wether the hops would be spent or not. I guess so.
Glad I filtered most of it out!
Thanks.

I don't believe it makes any difference to the finished beer. If you want to re-use the yeast, it comes out cleaner if you don't have the trub in the fermenter ...... but then you can always wash it.

It does not make a flavor difference unless you were to leave it in the primary for a couple of months. I have tried both ways of leaving it in the fermentor and filtering it out. I can tell no taste difference. The only difference is you lose less beer to the trub layer when racking the beer out of the primary, so that is reason enough for me to filter it out.

I use a stainless steel strainer to filter as much gunk as I can from the kettle to the bucket.

Latest posts

Back