Habanero and Serrano Capiscumel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusch

Reaction score
Just showing off:

I brewed this capiscumel a long time ago but just finally bottled it tonight, it was only a one gallon batch. I transferred 11 gallons of bochet that a buddy and I brewed in June. That got me in a homebrew mood so I bottled this!

ForumRunner_20121226_205405.png

Tasting notes: it finished way sweeter than intended at 1.095 (rediculous I know) but it started at 1.185ish so at 13% its not poorly balanced. At first I hated the sweetness, I wanted it at more like 1.03-45 to balance the high alcohol and spiciness. It actually works pretty well, sweet right off the bat but it is 2.5 years old, so it is very smooth. At the back end the alcohol pops out and you get that nice warming spiciness. I figured at worst this would make a great marinade but I will definitely serve this, maybe even with a splash of black pepper infused vodka as a nice cocktail.

That sounds awesome. I've been messing around with habaneros in an IPA after having sampled it at Ballast Point brewing last summer. That and USFMikeB sent me a bottle of Capsicumel he made using Douglah peppers (among other things) in this years Secret Santa that I'm waiting to sample.

great photo. I've always wanted to try to make a Capiscumel. Need to find a recipe to follow for my first one.

Made up a quick label last night, thinking about gifting these so I think it classes it up nicely. Also that's the Irish whiskey I used to make a little cocktail with last night, worked beautifully

ForumRunner_20121227_124105.png

While I'd have considered a 1.095 reading as unfinished or stuck and would have wheeled out something to restart it, its your brew not mine and if you're happy with the taste then that's brilliant.

It certainly looks good in the bottles.....

Well I started at too high of a gravity when I should have step fed it instead. Since this was only 1 gallon and 2.5 years old I just said screw it and bottled it. Makes for an interesting mix with whiskey though

We are also chileheads and grow our own. Did you get any green bell pepper taste? Were your chiles red ripe? WVMJ

Unfortunately I made this when I was in my old apartment before I had my current garden, so the peppers were store bought. They were quite good peppers though, but given the taste of this brew I will be repeating this next year with home grown peppers.

I was thinking of making one with roasted ripe red numex style for the flavor, even keeping a little of the char in to give it a smokey flavor from the grill, and heating it up with some caribean reds and a very light honey. WVMJ

Sounds good to me, I haven't decided what I will be growing next year yet. Going with a larger mix of peppers than this year

If you havent grown marconis you should get a few, we roast them on a grill to char the skins, put them in a pot to let their own steam finish cooking them. They bleed a lot of juice, we bag them up and put the juice in with them. That juice, with the char, all the sugar and pepper taste is something special put on the Earth for gardeners to enjoy. I keep thinking that a big batch of ripe red roasted peppers wont have that green taste. Their heat level is low some some hotter pepper needs to be added to give it a little heat. I plan on planting a row of them just for making a batch of wine, will have to fight the wife for possesion of the roasted peppers, she likes them in chile better. WVMJ

Back