Air lock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSD

Reaction score
What does it mean when your activity stops, then the next day it starts up. I've added the appropriate chemicals to stop fermentation so I can back sweeten. I added the chemicals a week ago, Sunday my s lock was completely done, then Monday, there's slow activity.

It could be co2 leaving the solution. If it was done fermenting, by the hydrometer measurement, that is more than likely what is happening. Did you give it a good degassing by chance?

what was added?

did you rack it off the yeast before add the chem?
Or did you cold crash it ?

Cos just adding stabilising chems won't stop an active ferment. Just prevent a finished one restarting when more fermentables are added.

Anecdotally, it does seem then only way to actually stop an active ferment is to cold crash, then while the batch is still chilled, to rack it off the sediment onto the stabilising chems - even then its not guaranteed but the most likely method for success.....

Back