Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to trying this out. I didn't read the fine print about efficiency though and ordered the full amount of grains. The Edmund Fitzgerald I brewed last weekend was supposed to be 1.060 @ 70% efficiency and I got a little over 1.070. I'm just hoping that this doesn't come out too strong. Would that be a problem?

I suppose that I could hold back some grain and use it in my next brew (Old Speckled Hen).

I'm still thinking ahead. I always dry hop in the keg. Usually with whole hops. This time I have pellets. Any problem with dry hopping with pellets in my keg? Has anyone done that with this beer?

I'm still thinking ahead. I always dry hop in the keg. Usually with whole hops. This time I have pellets. Any problem with dry hopping with pellets in my keg? Has anyone done that with this beer?

I dryhop in the keg with pellets all the time. Just put them in a mesh paint strainer bag and drop it in.

I dryhop in the keg with pellets all the time. Just put them in a mesh paint strainer bag and drop it in.

Thanks Brew2, that is the way I am comfortable doing it, so I'll probably keep with the routine.

I brewed the reciepe, and while the result tastes great, it's not matching up with the real thing. My result does not have the same malttyness of DFH90. I am wondering about the choice of mash temps. Perhaps a 153-154 might provide more body to offset the intense hoppiness. Any thoughts?

Jim

You can try that. I agree that while the recipe is close it still seems to be missing something. Whether its an ingredient or just a process adjustment I'm not sure. Next time I visit my LHBS I'll ask the owner what he knows about it. He is good friends with Sam at Dogfish so maybe I can get some info out of him.

On a different note, I picked up a 4 pack of 90 last weekend since I haven't had it in a while. Didn't notice until i got home that the date on the pack was May. Totally different beer. Really sweet and the hops were faded. Definitely better fresh!

Thanks for your feedback. It would be interesting to hear of whatever you learn. As I think about it, my FG was 1.010, lower than the 1.017 FG estimated in the recipe. That could explain the difference malt character of my outcome. While the brew is very enjoyable, it does not have the awesome balance between sweet maltiness and hops. It's just another hoppy IIPA, which is not an entirely bad thing. I cannot determine if the variation is a process error on my part, or a result of the 149 deg. mash. I would be interested in the FG of others that were more successful with the outcome. In any case, I ordered a bunch more Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt and going to try and get this clone nailed.
:cross:

Your low mash is definitely why the FG was low. My last batch finished at 1.018 and was fantastic, but missing that "something" that 90 minute has. I also used ringwood yeast, which I have heard is very similar (if not the same) to their house yeast. I tried to ask one of the brewers about it last time I was at the brewery and he kinda changed the subject lol.

I brewed this Saturday and like some others had a low OSG of 1.072. One problem was excess sparge. I'm not sure if this accounted for the whole problem. I was about 15% low, but I don't think I was that much over in my sparge. Looking at recent posts, I wish I had used the ringwood yeast and the Maris Otter. Perhaps next time if I brew this again. I used the S-04 from a previous Edmund Fitzgerald and the yeast seemed sort of clay like. Should I have thinned it out?

Planning to brew this this Saturday...I put everything into Beersmith, but have 1 big problem.

Using the 3/1/1 hop amounts split into 10 additions every 10 minutes, I get WAY over 90IBU's and come in around 127!!! That is even with dialing down my system to 70% efficiency and using the full 16 lbs of 2-row. (My system is normally dialed in perfectly at 78% efficiency so I would only need 14 lbs of 2-row...which puts the IBU's still around 128.)

Did the OP type something in wrong? Or am I missing something?

Just brewed the BYO recipe. It seems a bit different than this one. Anyone done both?

I used BYO recipe and mine came out to 9.5% and the taste is pretty close. If I had a better filter system I think it would be spot on. And I may need to change the name to mind eraser, last weekend was a fog....

BYO uses a 105 minute boil, protein step mash, half the amount of hops, wyeast 1099, pilsner malt, and 1.6# on the amber, ferments in the 70's.

Help!!! Brewing this Saturday with equipment for extract. Any advice for mashing and sparging?

I filled my 10 gallon rubbermaid to the very top once I added the mash-out water.
I assume he is doing the partial mash, but it is unclear. Without knowing the equipment you have, it is difficult to recommend anything. My first partial mash that I recall was done in a cooler. I took some bendable copper tubing and drilled holes in it to get the wort out. Actually, before that, I I used pvc and drilled holes in the bottom of that in the bottom of my cooler. It worked fine.

Got the grains sitting at 150 in the Rubbermaid drinking a 60-minute, and have 2 90-minutes sitting in the fridge waiting for the boil to start. I'm doing 30 3-minute additions with an extra .25 oz of the simcoe @ 0. Thanks for the recipe and the help. Cant wait to be drinking mine instead of DFH!

As a follow-up on my previous post and brew: I had a low efficiency/OSG. I realize today that one of my thermometers is off. I have the traditional floating glass ones. One has moisture inside which cannot be good and is reading way too high. My guess is that the sparge water was way too low. Now I know why the grain temps weren't rising!

I think that I am in the market for a good digital thermometer following this. I saw a guy on lone (brew academy?) that uses a thermocouple with a wire. This seems pretty ideal

I tried my DFH 90 "light"on tap yesterday. Very good. I was the one who sparged too much and got an OSG of 1.072. It's still pretty strong and tastes great even though it wasn't totally carbonated or chilled. I pretty much followed the recipe except I dry hop in the keg, so only used 2 ounces of hops instead of 4 there.

I'm tempted to do a side by side taste test.

Oh, and just for fun I mixed this last night with my Edmund Fitzgerald which came out too high at 1.070 OSG. That was actually a good mix. I had a dark IPA.

I have a batch of oatmeal stout fermenting right now. I used WLP002 for that batch. Would there be any large downsides to doing this receipe on a large WLP002 cake versus a WLP007 starter?

Looking at the documentation for the two, WLP007 seems to have a higher attenuation and slightly higher alcohol tolerance, but besides that they are the same?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Folks,
This will be my first all grain brew. Would a sparge temp of 168F and mash at 149F work? I know there are a lot of variables but I have no past experience with sparging and mashing.
Thank you.

What an aggressive beer! I'm doing the extract version, pitching 2 packets of Safale 04 and my fermenter just about exploded 16 hours in. Refitted with a blow-off tube and it's just non-stop...smells great!

I just brewed this clone about 1 week ago. Used 3 pkgs WYeast 1099, Whitbread. No starter. Mashed at 149 F. Twelve gal batch.
OG was 1.086. Started fermentation at 70 F. It took off like crazy. Raised the temp to 74 as per the clone magazine suggested.
After a few days the krausen dropped big time, and my gravity has been holding steady at 1.031 Beersmith says it should have a FG of 1.020.
Any suggestions why this beer is not fermenting down to it's suggested FG?
I brewed this once before and it finished at 1.036, I only used 2 pkgs of yeast on that brew.
The only thing I can think of is I didn't pitch enough yeast for the gravity of the wort.
Anybody???

ifishinbc said:
I just brewed this clone about 1 week ago. Used 3 pkgs WYeast 1099, Whitbread. No starter. Mashed at 149 F. Twelve gal batch.
OG was 1.086. Started fermentation at 70 F. It took off like crazy. Raised the temp to 74 as per the clone magazine suggested.
After a few days the krausen dropped big time, and my gravity has been holding steady at 1.031 Beersmith says it should have a FG of 1.020.
Any suggestions why this beer is not fermenting down to it's suggested FG?
I brewed this once before and it finished at 1.036, I only used 2 pkgs of yeast on that brew.
The only thing I can think of is I didn't pitch enough yeast for the gravity of the wort.
Anybody???

You definitely did not pitch enough yeast for that high of an OG. Go to mrmalty.com and use their yeast pitching rate calculator. Once you punch your numbers in, you'll realize how grossly outmatched your yeast were! I stepped up my wlp007 starter twice before I pitched it.

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the yeast calculator in Beer Smith, and Yeast Calc.com. prior to posting. Should be up around 700 billion cells.....so if that is the case I really under pitched.
I haven't encountered this problem before except with this high gravity recipe. I just wanted someone to confirm that this is probably why it's not fermenting out as it should.

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the yeast calculator in Beer Smith, and Yeast Calc.com. prior to posting. Should be up around 700 billion cells.....so if that is the case I really under pitched.
I haven't encountered this problem before except with this high gravity recipe. I just wanted someone to confirm that this is probably why it's not fermenting out as it should.

def. way under-pitched.

check out yeastcalc.com - it is a great tool for stepping up starters.

you will be able to not only save a lot of money on yeast packs/vials, but you will be able to build a proper pitch for your beers. I would be excited to hear about the improvement of your beer with this augmentation of your process.

Gentlemen.....is there anything I can do with this beer now? Should, or can I, pitch some more yeast to get it to ferment out some more, or is stuck the way it is.
I will be making yeast starters from now on, with the high gravity beers.
Thanks.

Gentlemen.....is there anything I can do with this beer now? Should, or can I, pitch some more yeast to get it to ferment out some more, or is stuck the way it is.
I will be making yeast starters from now on, with the high gravity beers.
Thanks.

I'd get more yeast and go for it.

Just drank one of these, have to put this on the long list of beers to brew

I have some ready to drink on the 31st. It's good that I am half a country away or I might try one before there are done!

Brewed my first partial mash with this recipe and it is chugging through the blow off tube! Mashed at 149, but after 45 minutes it had dropped about 4-5 degrees. Batched sparged with 184 twice. I used a 3 gallon gatorade cooler with a paint strainer bag.

5lbs MO
1.25 Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt
8lbs Briess Pilsen DME

Mixed the appropriate hops and dropped in a handfull every 5 minutes for the 90 minute boil.

Pitched with a 1L starter of Ringwood yeast.

OG came out to 1.090 and hopville estimated 1.086.

rS8gTl.jpg

I'm getting the itch to brew this one again. Might need to do a 10 gallon batch so it's around longer this time.

For what it's worth, I increased the mash temp to 153. It gave it a bit more mouth feel and compensated a bit for the drop in mash temp over the hour. I use a 10 gal cooler and with the grain load would stir every 10 minutes, which causes a bit more drop in temp than might I might otherwise get.

Gave this one a try last night. My efficiency was low. I know why I didn't hit my gravity but my question is how much should I adjust hop schedule for a batch that ended up around 1.065?

I reduced my boiling hops by about 1.5 oz. Dry hopping with 4 oz seems like a little much. Suggestions?

So I have read through this 32 page thread and have a quick question. Has anyone done this BIAB method? If so what size pot and how much water did you start with or did you also sparge. I always follow simpleBIABcalculator.com for water volumes and it says I need north of 9 gallons for this and it will not fit in my 10.5 gallon pot. Thoughts?

Back