David Chapman, John Lennon's killer, will rot in prison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all around sad. I hate to think that anybody can be paroled after killing another human being, regardless of who they are. "Life in prison" in most cases doesn't really mean a life-long sentence, though.

I wonder if they continually deny him parole because it would be irresponsible to put him on the street where people would target him for what he's done.

His sentence was 20 years to life, not life without possibility of parole.

And does the killing of John Lennon weigh more heavily than the murder of, say, a young mother of 2? Lennon's contribution to society is subject to a person's personal viewpoint.

His sentence was 20 years to life, not life without possibility of parole.

And does the killing of John Lennon weigh more heavily than the murder of, say, a young mother of 2? Lennon's contribution to society is subject to a person's personal viewpoint.

I'd give the mother killer life also.

I don't profess to know the law, but I imagine the range (i.e., 20 - life) accounts for things like personal viewpoints.

I guess that was my point- that a murder of ANYBODY is a heinous thing. The fact that he killed John Lennon (who is one of my idols) is no worse than if it was your sister, or the King of Siam.

Well obviously this guy was a crazy person, and I'm not sure I'd want him loose on the streets knowing what I know about him, but on the other hand I believe that most people have the capacity to be rehabilitated, even after something as heinous as murder.

Of course there is no one-size-fits-all course of action in this regard. Some people are not just crazy, but violent and sadistic as well. Those people ought to be locked up in a pitch black cell for the rest of their life or do one better...

Any way, I'm sorry if I come off strong on this one. I'm just irked that this is an article when this kind of thing happens (parole request) to a celebrity killer. I will note a disclaimer here that I'm not a big Lennon fan. He was a much more flawed individual than people remember him as. Not that I hate him or anything, just making the point that even celebrities are human.

FYI, have you ever listened to his sons' music? They sound eerily alike to their father!

Well obviously this guy was a crazy person, and I'm not sure I'd want him loose on the streets knowing what I know about him, but on the other hand I believe that most people have the capacity to be rehabilitated, even after something as heinous as murder.

Of course there is no one-size-fits-all course of action in this regard. Some people are not just crazy, but violent and sadistic as well. Those people ought to be locked up in a pitch black cell for the rest of their life or do one better...

Any way, I'm sorry if I come off strong on this one. I'm just irked that this is an article when this kind of thing happens (parole request) to a celebrity killer. I will note a disclaimer here that I'm not a big Lennon fan. He was a much more flawed individual than people remember him as. Not that I hate him or anything, just making the point that even celebrities are human.

FYI, have you ever listened to his sons' music? They sound eerily alike to their father!

But it will always work that way. My brother in law died last week but you won't see his story on the 10 o'clock news. It is just the way it works. People are more interested in people they "know" than people they never heard of.

I think what kind of bothered me the most besides the fact he chose Lennon to kill was I heard he just wanted to kill someone famous.

I think what kind of bothered me the most besides the fact he chose Lennon to kill was I heard he just wanted to kill someone famous.

Years back I heard he was upset about the fact that Lennon wrote songs about peace and love, but didn't live a life according to what his songs professed.

Another guy, that guy from Norway who killed 77 people in that murder spree, said he wishes he would have killed more? I'd dump him in a pit of acid, or hot lava. Good riddance.

Years back I heard he was upset about the fact that Lennon wrote songs about peace and love, but didn't live a life according to what his songs professed.

Another guy, that guy from Norway who killed 77 people in that murder spree, said he wishes he would have killed more? I'd dump him in a pit of acid, or hot lava. Good riddance.

I heard that too but I also heard he had several famous people he was thinking of killing. Quoted here...

...He also said that he had a list of people in mind, including Johnny Carson, Elizabeth Taylor, George C. Scott, and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, but that John Lennon seemed to be the easiest to find, although he has separately said that he was particularly caught up in Lennon.

Back