New IPA recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorribleBrew

Reaction score
I would appreciate any feedback on this IPA recipe, in particularly on the use of the Munich LME and Jade hops. These are two ingredients I have not used before. I am brewing this in march so I have plenty of time to play around with it. Thanks for your input. :mug:

LME
9 lbs Briess Pilsen/Light LME
1 lb Briess Munich LME

Steeping Grains
12oz Briess Caramel 60L
8oz Briess Caramel 120L

Hops
60 mins -1oz New Zealand Pacific Jade (pellet) 13.7%
10 mins -2oz Chinook (pellet) 11.4%
1 min - 3oz Citra (pellet) 13.4%

Dry hop - 10 days
2oz Chinook (pellet)
2oz Citra (pellet)
2oz New Zealand Pacific Jade (pellet)

yeast -White Labs California Ale (WLP001)

Batch size: 6.0 gallons
Boil: 6.5 avg gallons for 90 minutes
OG -1.065 / 15.9° Plato
FG - 1.014 / 3.6° Plato
SRM -13°
68.7 IBU (Tinseth)
BU:GU -1.34
6.8% ABV

It looks to me like you have way too many hops i the dry hop & not enough in the boil. I'd take out half the 6oz of dry hop. 2oz chinook at 25 minutes,2oz citra @ 16 minutes,& the jade @ 12 minutes. 3oz of hops for a week to ten day dry hop will be plenty,& match the aroma hops (dry hop) to the hops used for flavor in the boil.
Maybe a hair too much on the crystal malts in regard to color & darker flavors? But seeing as how it's a 6 gallon batch,8oz each may be sufficient.

2oz chinook at 25 minutes,2oz citra @ 16 minutes,& the jade @ 12 minutes.

can you clarify? are you saying you would reverse the order of the hops at those amounts and times or that you would add these hops to the boil in addition to what is already there?

Thanks!

I'm saying to use these hops at the times I listed that are left in the boil. You're dry hopping with more hops for aroma than you're adding to the boil for flavor. This will help balance that out. Besides saving a lot of hops where one will out shine the other.
You're adding 3oz of Citra at 1 min,which in my experience doesn't add a lot of aroma,let alone flavor. But 6oz of hops for dry hopping is a bit much,concidering what flavor additions are listed.

I'm a big fan of late hopping IPAs, not saying one method is better than the other but if I had my hands on those hops in those amounts I would toss 1 in (probably chinook, I'm a fan of bittering with that hop) at 60 minutes, then write a schedule and toss EVERYTHING (including your dry hops) in at 10, 5, and 1 minute marks (obviously more the later you wait, watch the acid and IBUs). Leave 2oz citra aside for dry hopping.

I brewed one beer last year using the hop burst method. Since, I have done every IPA of my own the same way - 1 at 60, the rest at the end. Being a hop head I find the method very satisfying for flavor, a good dry hop rounds out the nose.

Regardless what you do, I too like Union would dry hop with the 2oz citra and leave it at that.

5oz late hops is fine in an IPA - you could certainly add more but I don't think it's lacking at all

you won't get any contribution aside from bitterness from the Pac Jade at 60min, if you want to see more of what the flavor is about you may want to switch an oz of chinook at 60 instead and do 1oz PJ as a late addition

6oz DH is a bit much but certainly not unheard of - you could also try to do multiple additions, like 1oz addition of each for 10 days, then another 1oz of each 5 days into that

if you keg you could also do 1oz each for 7-10 days then another 1oz each in the keg

2oz chinook at 25 minutes,2oz citra @ 16 minutes,& the jade @ 12 minutes.

I appreciate the clarification and I can see where you might want to throttle back on the dry hops.

When I look at the hop additions you suggest, the calculated IBU's (I know it doesn't always relate to real world) is 98 (tinseth scale). It seems like it may be a bit outside the American IPA style if you were thinking about competitions. Do you think the bitterness would come across differently on the pallet with the late additions (I understand there would be more aroma with the late additions)?

Also, have you had much experience with Jade? If so, how pronounced is the pepper profile?

Thanks for the advice! :mug:

100% just a personal preference deal but why the Crystal 120? I personally like my IPAs a hair lighter on the color and malt backbone so when I make my IPAs I might only use about 5% of the grain bill in Crystal 15.

Not saying it is bad, just curious as to why you went with the 60 and then the 120.

Yea, I would definitely get rid of the high lovibond crystal, and I would never go over a pound of crystal total for an IPA. Something that dark is going to be weird in an IPA- I would stick to a pound or less total of Crystals at or below 60L.

100% just a personal preference deal but why the Crystal 120? I personally like my IPAs a hair lighter on the color and malt backbone so when I make my IPAs I might only use about 5% of the grain bill in Crystal 15.

Not saying it is bad, just curious as to why you went with the 60 and then the 120.

I was trying to get a little bit darker of a color, like a nice orange hue, with out going to a red ale in SRM. I think the C120 could help me get there without using too much; hopefully adding just a little interesting character in the background.

In regards to not being too sweet, I agree I should probably get the crystal bill under 10%, while also switching out the C60 for 45.

Thanks again for the input from everyone. :mug:

Here is how I switched it up. I added a little more Munich LME to give me more color so I would not have to use as much crystal to get to a SRM over 10 (less than 15). I also reduced the total crystal malt bill and switched out C60 for 45. As always, comments are welcome.

LME
78% 9 lbs Briess Pilsen/Light LME
13% 1.5 lb Briess Munich LME

Steeping Grains
5% 10oz Briess Caramel 45L
3% 6oz Briess Caramel 120L

Hops
60 mins -2.0oz Chinook (pellet) 11.4%
5 min - 2.0oz New Zealand Pacific Jade (pellet) 13.7%
0 min - 3oz Citra (pellet) 13.4%

Dry hop - 5 days
0.5oz Chinook (pellet)
0.5oz New Zealand Pacific Jade (pellet)
1oz Citra (pellet)

Dry Hop - 10 days
0.5oz Chinook (pellet)
0.5oz New Zealand Pacific Jade (pellet)
1oz Citra (pellet)

yeast -White Labs California Ale (WLP001)

Batch size: 6.0 gallons
Boil: 6.5 avg gallons for 90 minutes
OG -1.069 / 16.8° Plato
FG - 1.015 / 3.8° Plato
SRM -11°
79.5 IBU (Tinseth)
BU:GU -1.16
7.2% ABV

not sure if it's a typo or a change you made but I would do the pacific Jade at 10min like you had your chinook in the 1st recipe

you could even try adding both citra and Pac Jade at 10min and at flameout as well

not sure if it's a typo or a change you made but I would do the pacific Jade at 10min like you had your chinook in the 1st recipe

you could even try adding both citra and Pac Jade at 10min and at flameout as well

Good catch! It is actually a 5 min addition. A 10 min addition brings the IBUs up to 91.7 and the bitter/gravity up to 1.34, which I have to admit makes me salivate a little just thinking about the hoppy-bitter goodness. :) However, I am trying to show restraint and pay attention to the BU:GU and also the IBUs to keep it with in the BJCP style guidelines. However, I guess I really need to figure out how my system computes IBUs in real world terms.

I like your idea of mixing the Jade and Citra at the late addition and flameout.
:mug:

may want to back off on the crystal a lil more as the light LME does contain some carapils. i may have missed it, but if you're not already doing so, id add at least half your extract late. look forward to hearing how the pac jade does in this.

Yea, I would definitely get rid of the high lovibond crystal.

its not common, but nothing wrong with some dark crystal in an IPA. Avery's IPA & Maharaja does it

i may have missed it, but if you're not already doing so, id add at least half your extract late.

Is this the case even when doing a full boil? I know it is an issue when doing partial boils, but didn't realize it was as vital when doing full boils. Thanks for any clarity! :mug:

if you are concerned about IBU you can back off on the Chinook at 60 a bit - i think an addition around 10-20min left in boil for flavor would be a good call

Is this the case even when doing a full boil? I know it is an issue when doing partial boils, but didn't realize it was as vital when doing full boils. Thanks for any clarity! :mug:

totally missed it was a full boil. actually i guess since you're going for a darker IPA, any color issue that may still be there isn't really a problem. some say late additions improve your hop utilization, but AFAIK thats been busted. i guess just go with whatever way you're comfortable with, cuz honestly im not sure if it is important in full boils.

Latest posts

Back