milk jugs question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Weither it be for a mead or hard cider can those 1 gallon milk jugs be used for fermenting a cider and or mead?

Will the plastic affect the taste?

Will those 1 gallon aerrohead bottles also work?

You can use a plastic bottle as long as the bottom has either a "#1" or "#2" on it. This means they are made of a plastic that is food-grade a reusable.

You know, I rinse and clean all of our milk jugs for recycling. I don't think you can possibly get the "old milk" smell out of them.

Plastic is ok (as mentioned in the post before mine). But glass sure is better in many ways, as it won't hold odors and it's easier to sanitize.

If you can stand to drink Carlo Rossi wine, you could have an unlimited supply of perfect 1 gallon fermenters! They are actually 4 liters, so you can have some headspace for primary, and yet a long neck so you can go with one gallon in secondary. A #6 stopper fits, so an ordinary airlock and stopper can be used. I'd highly recommend trying to do that.

a good option for a one gallon fermenter is a cheap wine jug. you know the kind you get at food lion on the bottom shelf? best way to get rid of the wine is play a drinking game, like power hour. (drink a shot of wine every minute for an hour)

Yeah I have a couple 1 gallon Carlo Rossi bottles for experimental batches. The best solution we found is making sangria with a looooooot of fruit.

Back