Pilsner Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I always become too concerned when I have a yeast starter that doesn't look right. In the past it's always proved to be for nothing as the yeast always did it's job.

However, yesterday I mixed up a starter using Wyeast 2278 Czech Pilsen. The smack pack didn't swell at all, now I know that's no indication of bad yeast so I made the starter. I shook it every few hours until bed, then this morning I come to find this. It looks like no activity to me, but I've never used type of yeast before and wanted to ask if anyone who has noticed anything similar to what I have.

2011-10-09 06.12.24.jpg

I think you will find this yeast is a slow starter. Give it another 24 hours.

Thanks! I was hoping it was something like that. I'm going to be up by the LBS today, going to pick up a second pack just in case. Would there be anything wrong with pitching it along with the starter I made?

I've got two carboys going on this yeast right now. Smackpack swelled, but not hard like I often get. Starter got going after a day or two. I use a stir plate, and I can tell when the yeast is "blooming" because the entire flask goes from the color of yours to a light creamy color. Pitched into 50F carboys and had small krausen in 24 hours.

I would not use a pack that doesn't swell. I had one that took more than 2 days to swell (it was 6 months old).

It's pretty common for starters to take longer than 24 hours to get going, depending on the number of viable yeast you are beginning with and the size of the starter.

My yeast was about 2 months old IIRC.

I've got two carboys going on this yeast right now. Smackpack swelled, but not hard like I often get. Starter got going after a day or two. I use a stir plate, and I can tell when the yeast is "blooming" because the entire flask goes from the color of yours to a light creamy color. Pitched into 50F carboys and had small krausen in 24 hours.

I would not use a pack that doesn't swell. I had one that took more than 2 days to swell (it was 6 months old).

It's pretty common for starters to take longer than 24 hours to get going, depending on the number of viable yeast you are beginning with and the size of the starter.

My yeast was about 2 months old IIRC.

Thanks, thats about the age of mine as well. I'll give it more time

I've had plenty of smack packs that took several days to start. (They were usually old).
That looks like a very small starter for a lager (unless you are making a very small batch).

-a.

Starting small is a great idea if you have a small number of yeast cells. It ensures that the volume of the starter gets to 2% alcohol quickly, thus protecting against bacterial infection. Stepping it up to larger amounts is the next step. I use a 1L also to start my starters, then step up to a 4L flask.

Back