Rack to secondary or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently brewed 2 batches of pumpkin ale, extract kits from Midwest Supplies and used A LOT of pumpkin, like 120 oz per batch. It has been in primary for 2 weeks now and the directions say to secondary, I typically don't rack to a secondary but due to all the pumpkin I was thinking I would. Is it ok to let it sit on that pumpkin for another 2 weeks or will it cause off flavors? Thanks for the advise in advance.

I dont have an answer to your question, but I would love to know how your modifications to the recipe works out, as I just purchased the pumpkin ale from midwest.

I've limited experience with pumpkin ales, but in general, I rack off of it (or bottle) once the flavor is where I want it to be. I'd suggest drawing a sample and seeing if the pumpkin level in the beer is where you'd like; if not, leave it on longer. If it is, rack off to secondary (or bottle, if fermentation is done and you feel it's ready).

I don't think letting it sit on the pumpkin will hurt it any, so much as it will continue drawing flavor out of it. If that continues too long, the pumpkin can really get overwhelming.

Thanks for the input guys, collinsDPT I read some good reviews on that kit which is why I purchased it. I also used a entire container of whole cinnamon sticks while steeping my grains. I'll take a sample tonight and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the input guys, collinsDPT I read some good reviews on that kit which is why I purchased it. I also used a entire container of whole cinnamon sticks while steeping my grains. I'll take a sample tonight and get back to you guys.

That sounds like too much cinnamon to me. Hope it turns out, but when I've brewed beers with spices, including pumpkin ale, I found that it's always best to err on the low side rather than the high side.

You do not have to rack off the pumpkin if you do not want to. 99% of the pumpkin will settle out with time. I left mine in the primary for 5 weeks and had 0 racking / bottling issues. I did the DFH Punkin' clone that has been floating around with Wyeast German Ale yeast... amazing!

Well I took a sample and can hardly taste any of the spices, it's been in primary now for a little over 4 weeks and yes all the pumpkin settled and it is pretty clear. I have read on here somewhere that people gave added some spices at bottling time, I think I will have some on hand just I case. I was also thinking I would add some to 1 batch and none to the other. Again I'll keep you posted.

My The first pumpkin beer I ever made I no secondaried. didn't work out. That's why fruit beers are one of the things that I use a secondary, if not a tertiary on. Too much goop to deal with. Best to leave it behind and rack.

Just an update, after 6 weeks in primary I finally got around to bottleing my 2 batches I did use some pumpkin spice at bottling. They smelled and tasted awesome! I'm definitely looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks.

BradleyBrew said:
You do not have to rack off the pumpkin if you do not want to. 99% of the pumpkin will settle out with time. I left mine in the primary for 5 weeks and had 0 racking / bottling issues. I did the DFH Punkin' clone that has been floating around with Wyeast German Ale yeast... amazing!

Where did you find this recipe?

Bradley - how much pumpkin material did you use?

I just realized I never reported back! This beer turned out great! I had good feedback on this one, I will definitely make this again next year. Although to answer my own question I would rack to a secondary even if it was only for a week or so I ended up with a lot if sediment in the bottles. I will also add more top off water, after the pumpkin settled out I lost over a gallon on one batch and almost a gallon and a half on the other.

Back